Does it ever feel like work?

When I'm lying in my warm and toasty bed and see the dawn light starting to come in the window, it can feel alittle like work getting up to let the girls out. But once out in the fresh air and sunrise I am glad that I have chickens to "make" me get up early. Otherwise it's all good, cause I always wanted a farm, and this is as close as I'm gonna get, at least for now...

Those of you who don't like carrying water every day to the coop, those large 3 gallon heated waterers and a very long extension cord work wonders! (Unless you have so many chickens that they drink 3 gallons of water in one day)

So far it doesn't feel like work, more like grown-up play. And cleaning the fridge isn't so much of a frightful chore anymore as I sort things to put in the next "Chicken Party Platter" for the girls!

Quote:
This type of work in sometimes called farming
big_smile.png

And farming is a whole lot like work sometimes.
smile.png

edited to add: from some of the replies, I get the impression that some people assume work is a bad thing...

Last edited:
Nope, it hasn't felt like work at all yet. The hardest part was getting the run built and fortified and finding a coop that fit our needs and space. Since having the chickens, though, it's been a breeze! We've only have five pullets, though, and our coop is only 12 square feet. We just started getting eggs three days ago, and it's been quite a treat!

I'm sure I'd think differently if I had a lot more birds, especially with our crazy work schedules, but we're super happy with our flock. Our only regret is not having done it all sooner.
smile.png

Quote:
Ditto
only had few days it felt like work...but I still enjoyed it.
We have 4. 2 ducks 2 chickens. and some eggs in the incubator. and some eggs under the one broody hen.
we're allowed 3

I love it all year round the first thing i do when i get up in the morning is check on my birds and the last trip i make outside usually in the evening is to do the samething. I find it more of a chore in the summer then i do winter honestly. Im in canada so of course i get the freezing cold temps but atleast in winter i dont spend so much time cleaning the coops. I use the deep litter method during winter so its just adding no smell whatsoever. Sometimes the spring thaw can make it feel like alot of work but even then i dont really mind.

I think some people might have misunderstood my original question and thought I think of it as work. I do NOT think of it as work. I guess it can be a little work but it is fun. When I was little my Aunt n Uncle had a farm I would go stay with them from time to time in the summer and I LOVED it. Every since then I always have wanted land and a small farm. That never really happened but the little town we live in allows chickens. We are only allowed to have 4 hens on so many sq ft of property and NO roos which is fine. So after months of research and planing my hubby surprised me with 5 chicks one day. I know the rules say 4 but my neighbors all have asked to buy eggs and they used to have chickens so they dont mind the one extra pullet.

In my original post I just meant that right now it is a lot of fun, but I know that at some time it might feel like work, which is okay with me. I guess I just wanted to start a conversation with everyone to see how they feel about their chickens.

Back
Top Bottom