Does my chicken look fat?

ProjectChick

Songster
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
This is one of my Silver laced Wynadottes, Laverne. Does she look fat? You can see she looks and is built completely different than my other SLW, Shirley. She is much heavier and broader built. She also has a few issues that I am concerned that maybe caused by being too heavy. I have had an issue with very thin shelled eggs being layered, so thin they break in the nest. I have narrowed it down to being her that lays them. And she goes broody just about monthly. Oh and she can't run. When the other chickens take off running she ends up hopping and flapping her wings.

Well I have some interesting news. I have had to keep the girls locked up in the run for the last several of weeks. No Free Range at all, do to an unrelated predated issue that still has not been resolved.

And well I have not had a thin shelled egg in two weeks now. Her eggs have steadily gotten better, and now they are pretty solid. So I am wondering if she was getting what she needed from the free ranging and she was not eating enough of the layer feed. Now that she has no choice, but to eat the feed, she is getting the calcium she needs.

I guess that is one plus for keeping them in jail.

Interesting observation.
It would seem that may be the case if she is now just eating layer feed, oyster shell on the side and the goodies that you give them.
She may have not been consuming enough calcium.

Just a thought...What you may want to do if you decide to free range/let them out when the predator issue is resolved, let them out later in the day-say a half-hour to hour or so before roosting time, this way the bulk of their (her) diet would be the layer feed during the most of the day. See if she still stays the same with harder shell eggs, if so then you can start possibly increasing the time they are out.

Glad you are seeing improvement.

She doesn't look fat to me, just a bigger build. She needs more calcium in her diet. Check her feet for injuries or bumblefoot as well as her legs. The lack of ability to run is probably related to something else.

Is there some kind of calcium I can give her without giving it to the rest of the girls? They are all laying fine and I would hate to overdose them.

She doesn't look fat to me, just a bigger build. She needs more calcium in her diet. Check her feet for injuries or bumblefoot as well as her legs. The lack of ability to run is probably related to something else.

Quote:
I agree with @TheKindaFarmGal She is just a different build, she has more of Wyandotte build than the other one. Do check over her feet for any signs of injury/bumblefoot.

I don't really know of a way to "overdose" your flock on calcium unless you are putting liquid calcium daily in their water or something similar.
Offer oyster shell free choice to your flock, those that need the extra calcium will take what they need. Even hens that have calcium enriched layer feed sometimes need oyster shell.

Last edited:
I have always had free choice oyster shell and have fed a premium layer feed with enriched calcium. Is there a way to do more? She is the only one with a shell issue.

In addition to the info provided to you in one of your previous threads (this way I don't have to type all that again
big_smile.png
) ,
Research liquid calcium or avian calcium supplements.

Hopes that helps
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1119977/soft-shell-egg#post_17263346

She may be having trouble processing/absorbing the nutrients she needs. Some things you may want to try is giving calcium rich fruits/veggies as treats. Kale was the first thing that comes to mind, my B Rocks will really lay into the kale and they are egg laying machines with strong egg shells. If you can hang some fresh greens in the run for them to snack on that may help. Greens are easiest eaten when they can nip it off, so hanging either by the stalks or put it in a suet basket works well. I feed mine a wet mash most days as a "treat", if I have kale on hand I chop some finely along with some fruit or whatever I have and mix it in. They love it.

You may want to also give her a direct dose of some poultry vitamins every other day or do.
There is also water soluble calcium you can give, but I don't know what the dosage would be, you can usually find that online.

Just my thoughts
smile.png

List of calcium rich veggies/fruits:
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-calcium-vegetables.php
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-calcium-fruits.php

Egg problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

I am sorry for double posting. I didn't even think about it. I am concerned that there is something more wrong with her, that could be causing all of the issues. Her feet look fine, I see no issues there. I will look for supplements to try and give to just her, not going to be a easy task, she is far from a calm chicken. I will let you know how it goes.

I am sorry for double posting. I didn't even think about it. I am concerned that there is something more wrong with her, that could be causing all of the issues. Her feet look fine, I see no issues there. I will look for supplements to try and give to just her, not going to be a easy task, she is far from a calm chicken. I will let you know how it goes.

No worries - I just didn't want to re-type all that - I get kinda lazy
hide.gif
smile.png

Glad to hear she has no issues with her feet - maybe she just doesn't like to run. (I fall into that category too
wink.png
)

It sounds like you are offering plenty of choices and sufficient calcium sources. It may be she has a defective shell gland (?), if so, then there is not much you can do about that.

You say "she is far from a calm chicken" -- one of my Wyandottes is the same way - she is very quick and wily - only chance I have a getting her during the day is good luck and catching her off guard - usually this upsets her terribly.

so.......
I usually wait until night when she's roosting to get her. She's still a bit of a spaz even in the dark, but I can usually manage if I remember to bring a towel to drape over her
idunno.gif

Editing: The only other thing I can find that may aid in calcium absorption is Vitamin D3 and "greens". I would think your layer feed has D3, greens would be your grasses and leafy greens. Fish also is a good source - I know mackerel and tuna are a favorite for chickens - so maybe a little treat of fish? Just a thought.

http://luckyhensrescuenorthwest.weebly.com/egg-help-sheet.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom