Does this count as coop space?

Debs55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
In The Middle Of Nowhere GA
My coop is raised on stilts and very open because we have very hot summers and mild winters. The coop itself is 8 x 8 which follows the 4 sq ft rule for my 15 pullets who will soon be moving into it. We also plan to fence in the bottom portion under the coop and add roosts there and have a door to go back and forth from top to bottom so that even when they are locked in the coop at night they can go outside where it is cooler but still be protected from predators ( because then they would have to go through our yard fence, the run fence, and that fence to get to them). So my question is does that fenced in area under the coop count as coop space? I'd like to add 6-8 more pullets but I don't want to crowd anyone. They also have a spacious run.

Last edited:
With you also having a separate run, I would count the bottom of the coop as coop space thus allowing/encouraging you to go get you some more girls! My girls have 2 long roost poles in the coop and yet they all are quite content to cuddle up at night and leave most of the roosts empty.

Ok good! I really only want 6-8 more so I can get some breeds that I wanted, the 15 I have now my brother picked out as a surprise for me so while I do love them I just would also like some specific breeds :)

Got to love chicken math lol. I started out with just a few and went to the feed store to get two more...well I walked out with 6 more that day and 4 more a few more days later
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom