does this look normal after surgery??

Mommy2Blondes

Hatching
Jun 21, 2020
93EEF6A1-F27E-43AF-A4CF-97082F5150CA.jpeg

Yes this was for Bumblefoot & he had surgery this past Tuesday so 5 days ago. I kept noticing he wasn’t walking nor standing so I removed the bandages to see & the smell was horrible. Plus he was miserable! Depressed & barely eating. I have since then put him in a tub of warm water with epson salt he cheered up a bit. Now I’m about to rewrap his feet for the night & put him to bed. They also had him in 4 meds which I have stopped forcing down his throat. I wish I never took him to the vet I really don’t think they knew how to care for him properly! They are the ones that told me not to change his bandages for 7 days. I’m so glad I didn’t listen because he is happier now. But should I continue the medication?! I Love my ducks but learning to care for them is harder as resources are limited & no vet seems to know how to as well!

It initially smelled bad but now he’s all cleaned up & dry & after 2 hours of fighting finally rebandaged & resting peacefully in his crate with a soft towel down. Both his feet were bandaged & them covered in a baggy which I know is keep dry. He’s on an carprofen, Enrofloxacin, Tramadol & Gabapentin.

I did my own surgery on a chicken I had with bumblefoot. Changed the dressing at least every day. Generally on incision is needed so I don't understand the pattern on the areas. Keep soaking and dry thoroughly once a day. Give the antibiotics. Keep them covered so he doesn't was in his dropping and them even more infected. If the dressing have noticeable drainage change them more. If they stick to his feet wet them to loosen dont pull on them. Oh. I'm also a nurse..wound care is wound care regardless of species;)

Back
Top Bottom