Does this sound like Marek's?

crtrlovr

Still chillin' with my peeps
Mar 13, 2008
East South Central (West KY)
I had one little bantam frizzle cochin roo Bob who seemed fine one day, not himself the next day and by that evening was gone. I didn't realize until he died that he was underweight, which I attributed to bullying by the others. (I had to separate him from his brothers and the bigger chickens b/c they all wanted to make him their whipping boy). He was acting as a surrogate mother for some 6 EE chicks and 3 BR chicks I bought from the feed store. He made a great substitute mama; he was great with the chicks and they loved him. A few days later, my 1 yr. old Splash silkie roo was stumbling and began falling over when the gusts of wind hit him. I brought him in and began giving him PVS , yogurt, scrambled eggs, and chick starter (for the higher protein content). No improvement, declined even more, and was at the point of death. I started giving him Tylan 50 IM once daily for 8 days. He started feeling better, eating better, but still cannot walk. He has one leg out behind him most of the time. I've been propping him up with towels in a cat "cuddle cup" type bed to get him used to his feet being under him again, and he will stay in that position, but it is as if he simply hasn't got enough strength, especially on one side. One week ago I had an OEGB BBred bantam pullet begin to sit fluffed up (no previous sign of illness). I brought her in, gave her the PVS, put her in a warm spot, and she was dead by the next morning. Today her flockmate was not her usual spry self. I immediately brought her in, gave her the PVS, and put her in a warm place. She was sitting OK outside, but she's sitting back on her hocks in the cat carrier I placed her in. Any ideas, anyone? I'd appreciate some feedback on this.

It does to me.

I would cull the sick bird immediately, buy some vaccine and vaccinate the remaining birds on your farm.

I would also clean and sanitize everything as best as I could.

The bantam cochin was hatched the week before Thanksgiving '08 so he was in the 5 mo. range, the bantam BBred I lost was hatched Feb. 8th '09 so she was barely 3 mo. (along with the sick one I brought in this morning). The silkie roo came from a lady up in S. IL who was getting out of handling Silkies, and I was told he and the 4 pullets were 1 yr. old. He seems to be gaining strength and tries to use his good leg, whereas at first he didn't seem to be able to move his legs at all. As for vaccinating the rest of the flock, if this IS Marek's, isn't it too late? Wouldn't they all have been exposed at least to some degree?

ETA: when I brought the silkie roo inside I found loads of tiny brown mites on him. Back in March I had treated everyone except the smaller babies (newly hatched to 1 wk., thought they were too young) with Eprinex (which I thought would also kill any mites or lice on a treated bird -- does it not?) I bathed him and sprayed his legs & under his wings & around his vent with Adams Flea & Tick mist b/c I'd read on here that it was effective for mites on chickens. After the bath and treatment was when he seemed to be feeling better. I checked the rest of the chickens outside, and found some mites on the legs of my big RIR roo. I retreated everyone with the Eprinex almost 2 wks. ago and am going to retreat tonight to follow the guidelines on here about a repeat treatment to catch any remaining pests that didn't get eliminated by the first round. I'll be putting Sevin dust on the roost boards and on the floor tonight, and will add some DE as well. When it FINALLY dries up enough, I'll do another "down to the wood" cleanout and do a total disinfect and dry.

Last edited:
it may not be mareks then, maybe they have worms or the mites are bothering them, but yes if exposed to the mareks which I am sure they have been if they are outside (its everywhere) it would not work. I dont know about the treatments for it or where you should go from here I use DE and have not had a problem yet, and then when I do, I use organic methods so I am no help to you sorry
hmm.png

good luck!

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your input.
smile.png
If it IS something else like a vitamin deficiency or something of that nature, is it possible that the partial paralysis or extreme weakness of the one side will eventually correct itself?

Back
Top Bottom