DOG ATE CHICKEN WING OFF... PICS and SHE LIVES!

wee.gif
Yay!
wee.gif
I hope she makes it! Sounds like she may be over the initial shock...
yippiechickie.gif
Good luck! I hope she does well!

ANOTHER UPDATE

She tried to fly off (like she was in the habit of before) flopped on her face and ran like the dickens....all over my house! I think she will be fine, folks. She is definately not acting sick at all....just prolly wondering why she has to stay on the ground.

I have heard of pinioning birds to keep em at home...I just NEVER would have elected to do it like this, and do NOT recommend it EVER! lol

you can give her asprin for pain which on chickens does quite well
don't give her more than two a day
one in morning and one in night
after three days don;t give any asprin

before giving the asprin and vitamins make 1/2 wet mash probiotic and try to see if she will eat it
if she acts like she will eat it then put the asprin crushed and vitamins liquid and crush pill in the wet mash and feed it to her

but what you need is the Vit E and Viot B complex treatment for her nervous system
they are a strong breed of chickens so she will be okay

(1 and feed the chicken water with apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp ACV to pt of water
Do this till after the chickenise better. Should be able to put the ACV water in a small waterer for the chicken

(2 immediately give the chicken 1000 mg capsule of liquid Vit E by cutting the end of the capsule and taking the vit E capsule and let the oil run into the chickens beak

(3 also need to crush a vit B complex pill in a tbsp and put it into a tsp of water and put it in the chickens beak after it is disolved
then suck up the vit and liquid with a straw and put in her beak let it run down her throat
Do both Vit's twice today then for 7 days till you see some improvement in the chicken

then give twice a week for two weeks should see much improvement

(4 generally the shock of a event like dog attacks will cause chickens to have this nerve damage

(5 after today I would see if the chicken will eat a
natural probiotic wet mash
2 tbp of dry crumbles
4 tbp of milk sweet, sour or buttermilk
1 tbsp of non flavored yogurt
mix good and put the
vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tabsp and add to the wet mash

(6 Do this twice a day for 7 days to see if the chicken is better
then do this once a day for another week then once a week for a while
this should give the nervous system some stability

(7
you can email by PM for more information and include this inf so I remember what is happening

Good luck. The bacteria in the saliva of cats, dogs, and even humans, can be deadly to birds. Antibiotics may be a good idea, or at least some antibacteria ointment around the injury and some ACV (tablespoon per gallon) in the water.

Aw, poor baby, that must have been horiffic for her. I always try to put myself in others shoes and that would have been horrible being eaten alive. I'm glad you got to her before the dog finished her off. Gosh, what a way to go. I'm glad to hear she is doing well. I have had a few close calls with my St Bernard. He's not really tring to kill anything I don't think. What I think is he just wants to play. But, he is way too big and they are way too small.

For hevans sake, this dog plays with a bowling ball. A chicken doesn't have a chance other than to be a squeeky toy for a few chomps.

UPDATE!!!

She is STILL acting like a regular two winged-no injury chiocken...except when I change the bandage...which is no longer a maxi pad cut in two (YAY FOR 24/7 stores!!)

When I am changing the bandage she goes through calm/freak out stages...but seems fine. I have looked at the wing and it seems ok, no loss of feeling in it (except where there is no wing, I can't tell if she can feel what's not there) No movement loss.

No bleeding, no hot spots, no fever, no goozey nasty oozing junk anywhere...just a stump. One ligament hangs out about 1/4 inch from the end of the stump, but I do not want to cut this short of a hanger unless it proves to be a problem.

NOW, lets see a pic of my trooper...she looks pretty ruffled in the photos b/c I had gotten her a little too wet rinsing the wing section due to a freak out session for about ten seconds.

23391_spring_2009_318.jpg

23391_spring_2009_317.jpg

23391_spring_2009_316.jpg

23391_spring_2009_306.jpg

And for those of you wondering about my broody rooster, here is a pic of my bantam black cochin roo with "his" chicks...note the ducks in the upper right hand of the pic...there are four more UNDER him!

23391_patch_pup_044.jpg

23391_patch_pup_033.jpg

please keep in mind that this BANTAM cochin has 37 large fowl chicks AND six ducklings under him in these pics.

When Fluffy was younger, we though he was a she, hence the name Fluffy. Our very first Cochin or bantam anything. We had a load of chicks come in, and since "she" cochins are supposed to be good mothers, we brought "her" in.

"she" crowed us awake with "her" first sickly sounding crows that morning.

THEN her comb started getting red...ans in RED...and wattles followed. SHE/HE still liked being with the chicks.

Long story short, now Fluffy (who does know his name) has a flock of grown ladies, EE and BR, who adore him and I have some cross eggs in the incubator from this unlikely cross...since every egg I have cooked under Fluffy's supervision has been fertile!!

We shall see. Our new farm motto...NEVER A DULL MOMENT!

SO, now we have a broody roo and a one-winged pullet, and ducks that chase flies around the property like a race car track!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom