Dog attack and who saved the flock **Graphic PICS** He didn't make it

I'd get some penicillin and dose the injured chooks and Gobbles ASAP. Chooks outside with open wounds need to be kept free of flies. We doctored up a Fox chawed Black Spanish tom that looked a lot like Gobbles (but the Spanish was walking around with the crown of his head dragging the ground from neck injury - cleaned wounds by spraying them with betadine tea, put on some plain Neosporin on him, rubbed Adam's tick and flea spray on outer feathers (neighbor's turkey - they wouldn't take him in house) for `maggot control' and made sure he got his shots. He lived, though neck was always somewhat skewed.

Good luck!

Ed: Post #2, in this thread, might be handy as well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352701

Last edited:
I did give him some penicillin IM and used scarlet oil wound spray on them. I know my one blue Orp was a fighter too she would always attack me when I was trying to catch a bird especially if it was a chick even though she never hatched anything in her life. She got a good bite on her back, but seems to be doing well she keeps walking back outside even though I keep putting her in the coop. My little old english bantam had to be put down his leg was out of the socket and he was in bad shape, but he was always the same way as the blue orp and stuck up for his girls....he is the chicken i will miss the most...But as for the rest of my roos they are all fine..they must have been wusses and hid.

I forgot to mention earlier that you might use colloidal silver to wash the wounds. It's antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. A little in his water would be a good idea, too.

Ohh I am sooo sorry.I sure hope your turkey recoup's.I lost one of my Royal's to some Lab dog's a couple year's ago and pretty sure they got 3 of my pea's too but didn't have evidence of the Pea's.Sadly the dog owner's didn't care about keeping them up and they got put down by another neighbor after being warned about their livestock attack's and attacked his Aussie twice. .I know how you fell about that Turkey I raised Tommy from an egg and he was the Bomb of the barnyard.I No longer have him sadly and miss him dearly.I would try some antibiotic spray on his wound's for a while until they start healing some.It's much less painful for them than trying to rub the wound's with ointment.An a lil penicillin sure wouldn't hurt.It's really not hard to administer at all.I keep a bottle in fridge at all time's and syringe's.That is you have a farm supply where you can purchase it.I think it's fairly inexpensive I think for the bottle and last a good while in fridge. Try to keep him confined and away from flie's since it hot.You got a real Trooper Turkey there.Please update Us and I will pray for him to recover.Hugggzzzzzzzzzz

Well he made it through the night hopefully that is half the battle. he seems to be a little more alert and orientated.

AS I see it the Gobbler was a soldier He fought long and hard to defend his territory. He will have this same fight and will to want to live. Keep us informed on MR. Turkey he is a chicken hero and deserves a medal imo.

Well I came home from work and he didn't make it. he looked to be doing a lot better this morning, what a disappointment. He was definitely one of a kind. I am just glad he died up in the house peacefully then in the woods somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom