Dog attack, now duck keeps laying down

Homesteadin

Chirping
Mar 16, 2015
Almost a week ago someone's dog came onto our property and attacked our ducks. I thankfully was home and the dog hadn't been able to really hurt any of them before I ran outside. Once I got out there the dog was on top of one of my ducks with its two front paws holding it down, and it was no small dog. I scared it off and at first the duck limped away, then started walking normal again. She had no gashes or wounds that I could find. I have been noticing, though, that for the past few days she has been laying down a lot - take some steps, lays down, walks to a different spot, lays down... She is eating and staying with the flock as they free roam, but she is laying down most of the time.

Should I be doing something to try to help with a possible internal problem?

I would. I possible I would get a vet's help. She may have internal injuries, something could have started up a systemic infection after the attack, or the trauma could have left her immune system run down.

I would add poultry vitamins to the water twice a week, get her into a tub of lukewarm water and follow that with an overnight in a relatively warm place (above 50F) to just give her a break.

Feel her legs and bill - if they are really warm, that's a sign of infection and I'd start antibiotics.

That is very pretty just happy it's not here. we got 12" a couple weeks ago and there is still some out there waiting on the next one which is suppose to be first of the week.

I'm so sorry your duck got abused by a dog. This is a problem all over with people not keeping their dogs at home. Makes me very upset. I am glad she is okay which one was it that the dog got?

I think we're supposed to get a little more here, too, early this week. I am glad we finally are getting it - it has been a dry, dry winter!

The duck that the dog got is the one in the rear of the line that is most noticeable. She is usually the lolly-gagger :) Yes I have heard other peoples' stories of neighboring dogs getting to their flocks and most of them have very sad endings! So I am thankful they all were pretty much unscathed this time.

Almost a week ago someone's dog came onto our property and attacked our ducks. I thankfully was home and the dog hadn't been able to really hurt any of them before I ran outside. Once I got out there the dog was on top of one of my ducks with its two front paws holding it down, and it was no small dog. I scared it off and at first the duck limped away, then started walking normal again. She had no gashes or wounds that I could find. I have been noticing, though, that for the past few days she has been laying down a lot - take some steps, lays down, walks to a different spot, lays down... She is eating and staying with the flock as they free roam, but she is laying down most of the time.

Should I be doing something to try to help with a possible internal problem?

You probably checked for broken bones. If not, it is worth a look. It could be a strain or pulled/torn ligament. Soft tissue damage needs time to heal. If she is eating and drinking, it is a good sign I think.

I went to see my uncle, who is a large animal vet, last fall. While I was there, he set a compound fracture in a pet turkey's leg. It was amazing to watch.

Thank you both. I will start by bringing her into the house tomorrow and give her a real close look, a warm soak, a rest inside and some basic treatment with your suggestions. I really hope there are no broken bones/fractures... thinking of setting something like that like your uncle makes me cringe!

Last edited:
And by the way, yes I did check for broken bones, but I feared hurting her in the process so I may not have checked well enough.

We've made it a goal to save up the money needed to get the front of our property fenced. We live in a rural area where people from other properties seem to not worry about keeping their dogs around home.

I didn't find any broken bones, and her bill/legs were not extra warm. I did give her a break inside, poultry vitamins, etc. and she is doing much better today. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Thank you for asking. :) She is doing fine - currently wading through 24 inches of snow with the rest of the flock. I guess her system or ligaments must have been a little stressed for a few days but thankfully all is good now!

Back
Top Bottom