Tiffaschickens

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2022
I have a broody hen, she hatched 4 babies and i had her separated from the coop because the hens are pretty aggressive and attacked my last broody and ruined her clutch.

While she was in my yard, some neighbors dogs came over and mauled her pretty bad.

She came back but her neck was missing a chunk of skin and i learned today her crop was torn wide open. Everything just falls out.

I’ve been reading posts all day about this but even the post with photos were obscure.

I have many different sewing needles, super glue, and several threads. I have no idea which needles or thread to use. I have a fine nylon bead thread and beading needles i could use?

Nothing says how long to leave stitches in? Experienced advice welcome

Either post a clear photo of the wound with a ruler next to it so we can know its exact size or measure the tear and tell us how many inches or centimeters it is.

The crop has the inner sack and then the outer skin layer. Both layers need to be repaired. You need to be extremely thorough about flushing the wound with saline, then an antiseptic like Betadine. Then you need to assess whether the tear is very irregular or if its relatively straight. That will determine if you use sutures or super glue.

Super glue would be the preferred choice as sutures can be difficult in thin chicken skin, tending to pull out. If you use super glue, the tear needs to be held together for at least one full minute to fully adhere.

You will need to find an oral antibiotic due to the nature of the wound being caused by a dog bite. They are extremely dirty, high in bacteria. If you have a people prescription in the bathroom, use it. Or call around to pet stores or feed stores and ask for amoxicillin 250mg. The dose is 250mg once a day for ten days.

Back
Top Bottom