Dog got ahold of duck now has 2 gaping holes under breast

Emflo11

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2018
I have a 6 month old Moscovy/Peking duck, she weighs about 10 pounds. A dog got ahold of her and Punctured her under her breast plate leaving 2 nasty gashes that are pretty much holes to her insides, for the past 3 days I have been doing saline solution,and putting a crap ton of antibacterial cream on it, while cleaning it today I could smell an odor coming from it. I am afraid it might be getting infected and unfortunately there is no vet around me that treats birds so it's just me. She will stand on her own but after a while her head will slowly start to fall between her legs where it,when she is sitting you can hold it up perfectly. She have been pooping ALOT and drinking a good amount of water, she wont eat much so I have been mixing some yogurt with water to at least get something in her stomach. I am also having trouble keeping her clean, I want to give her a bath but I dont want to fill her body up with water.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand in your medicine cabinet? Your duck really should have a round of a broad spectrum antibiotic for the puncture wounds.

If you could post some pics of the wounds, we might have a better idea of their seriousness. Flushing with saline each day is a good idea. Your duck might be able to do without submersion as long as it has a deep bowl of water to dunk its head and beak in.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand in your medicine cabinet? Your duck really should have a round of a broad spectrum antibiotic for the puncture wounds.

If you could post some pics of the wounds, we might have a better idea of their seriousness. Flushing with saline each day is a good idea. Your duck might be able to do without submersion as long as it has a deep bowl of water to dunk its head and beak in.
I do not have any on hand but I am going out tomorrow to tractor supply to hopefully find something and I will try to get a picture here in a couple of minutes

I do not have any on hand but I am going out tomorrow to tractor supply to hopefully find something and I will try to get a picture here in a couple of minutes
That are really nasty looking but I am trying my best to keep them clean

Attachments

• 20190226_204722.jpg
    20190226_204722.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190226_204715.jpg
    20190226_204715.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 9
I have a 6 month old Moscovy/Peking duck, she weighs about 10 pounds. A dog got ahold of her and Punctured her under her breast plate leaving 2 nasty gashes that are pretty much holes to her insides, for the past 3 days I have been doing saline solution,and putting a crap ton of antibacterial cream on it, while cleaning it today I could smell an odor coming from it. I am afraid it might be getting infected and unfortunately there is no vet around me that treats birds so it's just me. She will stand on her own but after a while her head will slowly start to fall between her legs where it,when she is sitting you can hold it up perfectly. She have been pooping ALOT and drinking a good amount of water, she wont eat much so I have been mixing some yogurt with water to at least get something in her stomach. I am also having trouble keeping her clean, I want to give her a bath but I dont want to fill her body up with water.

That are really nasty looking but I am trying my best to keep them clean
Were you able to find any antibiotics? If so, what did you get?
I would keep trying to keep that flushed out and cleaned.
You mention that the holes look like they go to her insides? You may want to use Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) to flush the wound a few times. Saline is great, but the Hibiclens may be better since those look quite deep.

It's good that she's drinking, but the not eating much is concerning. @casportpony can show you how to tube feed her if that is something you are willing to try.

If her bottom is dirty and you are afraid of getting her too wet because of the wounds, use a spray bottle or if you have some very large syringes, use that to "spray" her bottom to help clean her up.

Were you able to find any antibiotics? If so, what did you get?
I would keep trying to keep that flushed out and cleaned.
You mention that the holes look like they go to her insides? You may want to use Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) to flush the wound a few times. Saline is great, but the Hibiclens may be better since those look quite deep.

It's good that she's drinking, but the not eating much is concerning. @casportpony can show you how to tube feed her if that is something you are willing to try.

If her bottom is dirty and you are afraid of getting her too wet because of the wounds, use a spray bottle or if you have some very large syringes, use that to "spray" her bottom to help clean her up.
All I could find was vetericyn plus and also the blue kote. I spent about 30 min flushing them out as good as i could and then i flushed her out with the vetericyn and put a nice layer of the blue kote on, I also got some vitamins to put in her water to keep her electrolytes up. She seems alot happier now after I sprayed that stuff on her but I'm going to keep it up every day

Back
Top Bottom