AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
Hello! We have an 8 month old Mini Australian Shepard who is in desperate need of a brushing. However, if we even show him one of his brushes, he immediately bares his teeth and backs away. We try to brush him and he nips us. This sweet, perfect puppy becomes extremely aggressive if we brush him or go to remove ticks from him. Yesterday, we gave in and brought him to a groomers. We told them to please try and remove some mats that had formed behind his ears. After dropping him off, we got a call saying he was too stressed, and was completely going wild. We picked him up, and now we aren't sure what to do. They suggested the vet, but that is very expensive. I am not sure how he turned out this way. We got him as a puppy from a friend who bred her dog. It's not like he's had a hard past or anything! Suggestions would be welcome!

These tips look pretty good.

If the mats are severe he really might need to go to the vet to get them out, since they can sedate him and shave them off. If you have confidence in your scissor skills and a friend/family member who can help hold him, you could try trimming them yourself, though he might be too upset to allow you to do that safely.

I wouldn't muzzle him, as that will be just another bad association with grooming for him. I'd probably try bribing him with favorite treats or toys, and just try desensitizing him to brushes at first. Like flip the brush backwards so it's not actually brushing through the hair, and just lightly run it down his body. Do this once or twice daily. Once he's not so upset at seeing or being touched by the brush, then just make one or two strokes with the brush and reward him for not pulling away or being upset. As he improves you can try brushing for a little longer until hopefully he allows a full session.

Other things to consider: he might have really sensitive skin or maybe the brushes you have aren't right for his fur and are pulling too much. Have you tried a grooming glove? Trying to think of what might work as a brush that doesn't trigger his hatred of brushes.

Sorry but i disagree with the previous post. I would absolutely muzzle the dog and use 2 leashes: one around his neck and one around his flanks. Tie him off to a sturdy post and gently brush him with lots of verbal encouragement. He does not get to bite or menace you with his teeth. That is aggression and is not allowed. Dogs that bite learn that they are in charge and rarely want to compromise.

If you dont feel up to the challenge then by all means take him to the vet's where they can sedate him. It's not worth getting hurt, or teaching him to control you.

Thanks guys! We have a muzzle, and use it when removing ticks from our dog, but it really triggers him, and he hates it. It totally freaks him out. We only use the muzzle because it is extremely necessary to remove the ticks ASAP. I will try a softer brush, the one we have is probably pretty rough. I may try the two leash method, but usually when we restrain our dog, he panics, and things go downhill. I will totally try to rub him with the brush backwards, that's a great idea! I love the tips on the tiny terrier website! If all else fails, off to the vet he goes. Sedation may be necessary.

Professional groomer here. Please don't tie him up or muzzle him. Bite the bullet and take him to the vet to be knocked out and shaved down completely. Then start from scratch as you should have when he was a puppy. Start by pairing the brush with something he loves. It can be a food treat that is super yummy, talking meat or fish or cheese, not milk bones or Charlie bears.Or, if he is a ball fanatic, you can throw the ball for him. Start with a new and different looking brush, show him the brush and give a treat, while hiding the brush behind your back.Show the brush, give a treat (or throw the ball) repeatedly for 10 mins or so 2 to 3 times a day, every day, until he sees the brush and looks happy and anticipating his treat. Then, and ONLY then, touch lightly with the brush, on an area of the body that is not super sensitive, such as his back, then treat as before, touch and treat repeatedly several times a day, etc. Then graduate to lightly brushing, always pairing the brush and brushing with something positive. If he gets tangled, cut it out, rather than pull and hurt him. Handle all parts of his body every day, pairing with a treat, separately from brush training. Feet, tail (if he has a stub, handle that) muzzle, ears, etc. You will want to cut back on regular meals so he doesn't get fat, and is still eager for the treats. In the future, after he is better accustomed to handling, you may want to get him shaved down a couple of times a year to keep brushing easy. It's your job to train him to allow handling and grooming, with out having to manhandle him. Think about how scary it can be to be tied up and muzzled, and have people do scary things to you when you don't know why. Brushing tangles hurts, and only make them hate the process more.

Only one problem, you aren't supposed to shave Australian Shepard's. Their fur grows back oddly. Great post though!
I hate shaving double coated dogs, but better that, than torture the dog, create a dog that bites and doesn't trust people. Way lesser evil, IMO.If you start brush out a matted dog, that already has a history like this, you will get nowhere with desensitization. What's more important, a less than perfect coat, or a dog that trusts you won't hurt him when you brush him? Besides, most of the time, they grow back fine after a shedding or two.

Only one problem, you aren't supposed to shave Australian Shepard's. Their fur grows back oddly. Great post though!
Sometimes there isn't a choice. I have no idea how clipping a dog would have any effect on how it grows back in. I don't have an aussie but I have friends that do. I know they had that dog clipped at least once and the coat grew back in with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom