Dog house converted to coop

ArchersMom

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2015
I decided to convert an old dog house into a second small coop. I'm hoping to fit 3-4 free range hens and maybe 1 rooster. I'll also be converting a 5' x 10' chain link dog kennel into a run. This is my first attempt to build anything as I'm not very handy when it comes to power tools, so I kept everything as simple as I could.

All that's left for the coop itself is the nesting boxes. I'm keeping them in the house itself since the run won't be covered and I need it to be very rainproof. I chose to place the roost bars parallel to the door so that I could place the boxes in the back corner. The roof hinges up for cleaning and collecting eggs, so I should be able to harvest the eggs fairly easily. I put less than $100 into the coop itself so I'm very happy with that aspect.

I still have to build the base to get it high enough off the ground to keep the feed and water containers out of the elements; and finish wrapping the run in hardware cloth.

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_202340279.jpg
    IMG_20180318_202340279.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20180318_202353544.jpg
    IMG_20180318_202353544.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20180318_202303256_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180318_202303256_LL.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 43
All looks good. You are not finished yet so consider some necessities.
You do need to read up on ventilation. What you have at present is a sauna in summer, and a humidity trap during winter. Not to mention, an ammonia generator.
Ventilation is probably the most important thing about coops.
You can house your chickens in a secure run with some protection from above from the weather elements. (some on sides as well from prevailing wind directions)
In a closed box they will not do very well for very long. @aart has some good links in posting about ventilation. Lot easier to just study those than have me write all those all over again.:thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST.......:highfive:

All that's left for the coop itself is the nesting boxes. I'm keeping them in the house itself since the run won't be covered and I need it to be very rainproof. I chose to place the roost bars parallel to the door so that I could place the boxes in the back corner. The roof hinges up for cleaning and collecting eggs, so I should be able to harvest the eggs fairly easily

For 3-4 hens you only need one nest box. Also for 4 chickens 4' of roost is plenty. The roost should be at least 12" from the wall. Chicken poop will fall 12" from the roost location so don't put a nest box too close or it will fill up with poop at night. A simple box made with 1x4's would do fine as a nest box.

What are the dimensions of the box?

JT

It's approximately 5' by 3.5'. As far a ventilation, it's only closed on 2 of the 4 sides. There is a 2" gap along the front and rear of the coop that should help. I'm not sure if that will be enough, but between that and the unattached roof I hope so. So if I divide out the back 1' for a nest box, do you think I'll be far enough from the roost bars? It'll be tight.

Maybe I'll stick with just the 3 then. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. So it's pretty mild, just wet.

And we're on 3/4 of an acre for them to forage, but I can't build a big permanent coop. We'll move again in 2-3 years and I'll have to be able to move it or take it apart.

Back
Top Bottom