Dog is POISONED. Maybe ate a D-Con Mouse. WORRIED.

UPDATE on my Boxer-dog "Boone".....

Boone slept "fairly well" last night. This morning I gave him another pill of 25mg Vitamin K and we "washed it down" with a solution in a syringe. Solution was composed of beef broth, dissolved sugar, and a beaten raw egg.

He seemed to like it..although he won't yet open his mouth (fear, no doubt).

I plan to repeat this feeding each hour or two until he will eat solid food (canned) on his own.

I'm also planning to get some "baby food" and perhaps some "Ensure".

He seems to feel some better after that feeding.

I'm hoping that the Vitamin K will put a stop to the obvious "internal bleeding" very soon.

THANKS for EVERYONE'S Help and encouragement!!!
frow.gif

He and I are "confident" that, together, we will whip this unexpected difficulty.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Last edited:
This might also be pancreatitis or severe gastroenteritis for some other reason. He may also need to be on sucralfate (to treat bleeding in the GI tract) and pain meds. Keep him on the metronidazole so he doesn't get a secondary bacterial infection in any of the areas from which he is bleeding.

Also, cancers are very very common in Boxers. So as well as going back to the vet to get your boy on an IV you might also have him more thoroughly checked over with blood work and Xrays.

I really do hope he gets better soon.

Last edited:
I am 99% SURE that the problem is that Boone ate a mouse poisoned by D-Con.

He seems a little bit better this morning.

THANKS, EVERYONE for your continued concern and guidance!
smile.png

It is HELPFUL !!!

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

I'm going to mention the sub-q fluids again.

Get yourself some syringes with needles, fairly large ones. Lift the loose skin of the back and neck and inject a saline solution/pedialyte under the skin. As soon as it is absorbed, do it again. This will allow fluids without straining the GI tract. If your dog is hydrated, it can survive long enough for the GI tract to recover.

The problem with rat poison is that it can cause organ damage.

Hope you both are doing better.

OK. It would probably still be a good thing for him to be on sucralfate as well as the metronidazole and maybe some Tramadol as well. And the fluids and Vit K of course, that you are already on. That way you can sooth his GI tract, at least, cover possible opportunistic bacterial infections, help with the pain, keep him hydrated and help with clotting.

My Bill ate rat poison and that is what we did for him and it worked really well.

We never did pump his stomach, either. Bill go a whole bunch of activated charcoal via a large gastric tube.

Get well soon, Boone!

Glad to see he's feeling better somewhat this morning. You've got all kinds of great advice on here... hope Boone continues to get better!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Nancy

Regardless of the efforts of ALL (including "Boone"), today about 3:30PM MDT, Boone became the lover, protector, and companion of my late wife, Dottie.

They will, NO DOUBT, do well together. It is good that they will have each other.

It is a loss to those of us in this realm. HOWEVER, Boone has lleft his Son, "Crockett", whom HE educated...............to be the "mainstay" here at "Dottie's Farm."

I'm saddened. But, it's OK. I've been here before.

THANKS for you help! Perhaps IF I had realized that Boone was THAT SICK...a few days earlier, I could have made a difference. That is beyond control and out of my hands now.

Thanks for TRYING TO HELP! I just got started too late ..........

-Junkmanme-
old.gif
hit.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
frow.gif

hit.gif
I am so sorry that you lost him. I know how hard this is. You did all you could do. I pray that you find comfort in knowing that you will one day meet again
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
Oh, Junkman, I'm so sorry you lost Boone. Your Dottie will love having him with her, but I sure wish he had stayed.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom