Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a tritronics training collar for my dog, I think that should work good to teach her not to mess with them, if not I will move up to a cattle prod, that should most definitely do the trick. She is a bird dog but she has been around penned chickens before and didn't point them like she does game birds so I think their scent doesn't really intrigue her, though she has a heck of a prey drive for pretty much any critter that moves so I do anticipate some issues.

That makes you a Sheep dog!
Very interesting reading.
thumbsup.gif

Oh wow, just found this thread. Yep, was definitely the right decision! There are 2 dogs in my area from the dairy farm down the road. One had a broken leg last year (in a cast). Now these same irresponsible folks got a 2nd dog, & are roaming down the 'hood! Haven't been a problem YET. I expect once my chickens begin free ranging this spring they'll be coming. I will keep watch, in a chair, with my gun! If I have to leave, out comes my dog. Hoping for an interesting year!

Because the news likes to report pitbull attacks more than others...if you look up dog bite statistics small dogs and golden retrievers bite more people than pit bulls, but people love a pitbull attack story...not to mention not every square headed dog is a pit bull. Any dog regardless of breed can be dangerous, and any dog can bite...
AMEN! As a pit owner/lover, I get so sick of hearing "You don't let that thing around children, do you?" or "Aren't you afraid of it?"

People, pits and american bull dogs were bred as "Nanny Dogs". They are fiercely loyal and protective!

As a matter of fact, our bully was one of kindest and most gentle dogs we have ever had! He played well with other dogs and adored our nieces and nephews. Our neighbor had a chihuahua (named Lex) that Apache (our pit) would carry around in his mouth like a rag doll, but never once hurt. And Lex came to visit Apache every day. We rigged a harness to a trailer and he would pull the kids around the yard in it. They would pile on him on the sofa for naps.

My cousin's poodle bit her in the face in the middle of the night because she was startled. 5 stitches in her lip (2 in and 3 out)! The dog had been sleeping in the bed with my cousin and her husband for over 6 years. The dog has never bitten again. Freak accident.

Now granted a poodle does less damage than a large dog when it bites, but they bite way more often.

Dogs are what you make them, but they are still animals!

Gah, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is my rant for the day!

I recently lost 6 of my 9 chickens and my turkey to a neighbors dogs!! The dogs broke in to the pen... Which we normally had been letting them out, we didn't that day, kept the shut in for safety....some safety!! I can't even go back to the pen!! Now we keep the last three hens in a chain link fenced area with our staffordshire bull terrier for protection!! Believe me nothing bothers the girls now!! Maggie (our dog) is the best protector ever !! Just sad that we can't turn out the girls on our 6 acres anymore. We have let the dog owners know if their dogs come back on our property they won't be going back home!! I love dogs, we have 4, but we do not let them run the loose, even though they are trained to stay on our property. People don't understand chickens become pets just like anything else! You can't put a price on that !!

So sorry you had to go through such a tramatic ordeal! My dogs are in a pen of their own they do not run free ever. My chickens are in a very well constructed run of their own they are never left alone to free range! Sometimes I let them out towards evening if I am going to be standing right there. I have some fencing I put up tempary so I don't have to chase them. I find free ranging your chickens just puts them out there in the food chain, if not the neighbors dog, a hawk, coyote or coon could get them. This is my third flock and I don't want to clean up anymore bloody masacre sites! When you free range your chickens could very easily go into your neighbors yard. My neighbors dog was at the pen one day running back and forth trying to figure out how to get to my girls. I know the dog and knew she is very gun shy. I grabbed a cookie sheet and a wooden spoon banged them together and it sounded like a gun going off, she ran off with her tail between her legs and has never returned. I keep firecrackers on hand now. I couldn't bare the thought of shooting her she is a really nice dog, She just made a mistake. No doubt if my birds were free ranged I probably would have lost a couple. I am not saying you were wrong for shooting the dog. Just wrong about leaving you chickens out were they are vonerable! If your chickens are penned up in a run they have a better chance of survival! Just something for all you free rangers to think about.

Free ranging is the only way for me to get the most nutrients in my eggs. I am not going to give that up. I find your statement insulting that it is wrong to free range. My birds are happiest when they can go where ever they please, getting the best foodstuffs they can find. I have natural borders & no neighbours within a 1000 ft of our property. I have guns, a dog, & all the time I need to TCB! I pity the predator that comes for my birds!

I'm glad penning works for you. It is just another method of managing a flock. No more wrong than my method.

Diana, you may choose to keep your birds "cooped up" and rarely let them out to be happy, healthy chickens, but that is not something I am going to subject my wonderful ladies to! Yes, your point of protection is well noted, but I personally would rather my girls get to lead a normal and fulfilled life. Free-ranging is a risk that I feel is more than worth it. I don't think it's wrong to ask people to keep their dogs up! I live over three miles in either direction from other people, so I doubt my birds will make it into anyone else's yard. I have two flock-watcher dogs and a shotgun with plenty of shells. My girls are worth it.

Shellz, I'm with you. I love the added benefits of free-ranging. I get a real kick out of seeing the colors of my yolks change from season to season. It lets me know that my girls diets are diverse and so my eggs are ever-changing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom