Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would if I could! If a dog was threatening my kids or my pets then I could shoot it, especially if it was going after my kids. Unfortunately, here in the UK they don't allow guns. When my youngest was a baby, I was cornered by a chocolate lab that was being walked by one of his owners, a man, who also had another chocolate lab and was pushing a baby stroller. Both of the dogs were off their leads and he had no control over either one of them. All the dipwad did was whistle and softly call the dog's name. I was holding the baby at the time in my arms and my back was to a wire fence. It took quite a bit of time for the dog to obey. So now I try to remember to bring a big golf umbrella when ever I need to walk to pick up the kids from school.

Last edited:
sad.png
There's hardly a week goes by that there isn't a news story about a pit bull attacking a child. We awfullize about it a good deal but people still keep these dogs and don't do the responsible things that are involved by having this particular breed of dog for a pet .Dogs are pack animals and put two or three or more of them together and there's a bigger problem. I've had goats and cattle attacked by dogs who,ve packed up and are hunting not because they are hungry but for pleasure. The chickens were where they were supposed to be the dog was not. SSS no second chances and these dog owners weren't responsible enought to take care of their dogs so do you think they will pay up for the dead chickens??

An irresponsible pet owner is in my experience also unable to understand why you think your chickens, ducks, or goat as important when compared to their dog or... I agree with the poster that said something to the effect that a beloved family pet is just that until it enters my yard as a predator.

I will be somewhat tolerant in many cases with the first offense of animal trespass and try my hardest to solve the problem with the owner, but repeat violations and lack of caring about the problem or my rights will lead me to do the same as the OP and I have had to unfortunately more than once...

WV is plain and simple-here is the law--everyone should check their local laws-our sheriff said this even pertains to such things as pet birds ,lizards etc.

19-20-16. Same--When lawful to kill dog

A person may kill a dog that he may see chasing, worrying, wounding or killing any sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry outside of the enclosure of the owner of the dog, unless the chasing or worrying be done by the direction of the owner of the sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits or horses and colts or poultry.

Acts 1929, c. 13, § 49; Acts 1951, c. 69; Acts 1971, c. 5; Acts 1981, c. 71; Acts 1986, c. 2.

§ 19-20-17. Same--Unlawful to harbor dog; penalty

A person who shall harbor or secrete or aid in secreting a dog which he knows or has reasons to believe has worried, chased or killed any sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry not the property of the owner of the dog, out of his enclosure, or knowingly permits the same to be done on any premises under his control, is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, before any court or magistrate having jurisdiction thereof in the county in which the offense is committed, shall be fined not less than ten dollars nor more than fifty dollars, and, at the discretion of the court or magistrate, imprisoned in the county jail not more than thirty days. Each day that the dog is harbored, kept or secreted shall constitute a separate offense.

Acts 1929, c. 13, § 50; Acts 1951, c. 69; Acts 1971, c. 5; Acts 1981, c. 71; Acts 1986, c. 2.

§ 19-20-18. Same--Duty of owner to kill dog; proceeding before magistrate on failure of owner to kill

The owner or keeper of a dog that has been worrying, wounding, chasing or killing any sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry not the property of the owner or keeper, out of his enclosure, shall, within forty-eight hours, after having received notice thereof in writing from a reliable and trustworthy source, under oath, kill the dog or direct that the dog be killed. If the owner or keeper refuses to kill the dog as hereinbefore provided, the magistrate, upon information, shall summon the owner or keeper of the dog, and, after receiving satisfactory proof that this dog did the mischief, shall issue a warrant on application being made by the owner of the sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry killed; and give it into the hands of the sheriff, who shall kill the dog forthwith or dispose of by other available methods. The cost of the proceedings shall be paid by the owner or keeper of the dog so killed, including a fee of fifty cents to the officer killing the dog. The owner or keeper of the dog so killed shall, in addition to the costs, be liable to the owner of the sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry or to the county commission for the value of the sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses or colts or poultry so killed or injured.

Last edited:
Hey OP, did ya get your couple hundred dollars? I kinda wanna know what happened with them owners, like did they get what they deserved?

Very sad story! very sorry for your loss. It makes me sick that people have such little regard for peoples feelings. You had the right to shoot the dog, i would of done the same. They owe you big time, they only have themselves to blame perhaps they should try keeping there dogs under control. If my dog killed someones chickens and they shot my dog, i would totally understand. How dare they say there just chickens, to people who own and appreciate them there just like any other pet. Did they even give you an apology?

A person may kill a dog that he may see chasing, worrying, wounding or killing any sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits, horses, colts or poultry outside of the enclosure of the owner of the dog, unless the chasing or worrying be done by the direction of the owner of the sheep, lambs, goats, kids, calves, cattle, swine, show or breeding rabbits or horses and colts or poultry.

Most places have similar laws, my own county included. Worrying can just be running around the pen and scaring the birds. Even that can kill chickens, causing them to bash themselves against fencing or the building, possibly breaking necks or limbs or just causing extreme stress in hot weather so much that they will not recover. The dog doesn't even have to get his jaws on the bird.​

Around here the dog warden or humane officer carries more weight than the law to deal with the owners and damages--the OP should call them-they will help with all of that...

I agree with what you did because I have done it myself. A neighbor who trains bird dogs had one get out. It immediately came over to our place and killed about 20 of my babies. Didn't eat or tear them up, just killed them. He was only doing what he had been trained to do. I killed him. I called the dogs owner, the collar had the name, phone number and location. The ower said the dog was up here for training with my neighbor. I informed him the dog had gotten loose and what happened. I called my neighbor, animal control and the police. The police wanted to know if my gun was secure. They all arrived about 30 minutes later. No report was filed, the police only wanted to know if my gun was secured. The neighbor wrote me a nice check, $10 per chicken. I'm sure the dog owner was out alot of $$$. It was a registered dog, good bloodlines from what I understood. But nevertheless, it was a dead dog then. Neighbor has been warned by animal control to make certain improvments at his place. They watch it since it has had sever complains about his upkeep. Dogs look thin, no food, no water, no shade. He needs consistent monitoring to keep them adequately cared for.
Jan

Good for you!

I'm really sorry you lost your chickens. I'm glad you took care of the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom