Dog killed neighbor’s chickens

Is it possible he feels guilty about something, that is why no response. Maybe he lost some flock, but he THOUGHT is was your dogs and it was something else? I don't know, it sound odd he won't even acknowledge you have tried contact. I am glad you will be making adjustments to your fence, for kids and neighbors.
I hope your dogs heal, his flock adjusts and the neighborhood rises above.
PS: I think the documentation note is a good idea.

So glad your dogs are ok! If the neighbor would speak to you it would help put alot of things straight. To him im sure the future of his flock as well as privacy of his land is most important and is completely unaware of the circumstances that led your dogs out into his flock. Your dogs were just being dogs!! I wouldn't have a clue what to compensate them but i feel if they had the full story they would be more open to communication with you. Write a letter, explain the horrible situation hopefully they will understand. I had someone leave my gate open once and i had a Doberman and pit bull... things happen! Hope yall can reach an amicable agreement. My heart goes out to you!

I don't know that a letter wouldn't be a good idea. Outline the events as you have here and offer to replace bird). Send it certified and keep a copy, along with the green card so you have proof they got it. This will cover you legally if they decide to pursue that angle. It also protects you, as you have detailed what happened and it wasn't your fault and your dogs aren't marauding killers. I'll bet the woman was angry and just over-reacted and is probably now upset with herself for what she said. I know that my neighbors hate us--we bought property that had been in the family for generations (no idea why they chose not to buy it themselves!). That's their problem, not yours. You are already the better person in this event.

No pie for them!!! And that was my first thought. They are neighbors and farmers.. they know every animal on the road and everybody’s business too!
I personally would not send a letter because it may be adding fuel to the fire. They may come up with something like they were attacked also by your dogs( could happen). People do terrible things when they think they are being cornered. These 2 are aren’t sensible. Lastly, the kids parents seem like good people.. there’s your proof if you needed any. I would leave it alone. Bottom line he shot your dogs, his neighbors dogs... if he was protecting his flock ( which he was) then he did what he felt he had to do, but consider the nastiness of these people... do you really think they care about a few chickens... some people get great joy at scoping in on an animal. If it’s legal in your state to shoot a dog for attacking livestock, he probably had a green light. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I’d stay clear away from them. When a husband is bad and the wife is logical that’s understandable.. when the husband is bad and the wife is worse, they are low lives! Just my opinion. I hope your dogs heal quickly! Btw I think your a good person and a good neighbor! Don’t feel bad about an accident that wasn’t your fault and you tried to better the situation.Sometimes no matter how you try... it’s never good enough. I think you should bake yourself a pie and enjoy the holidays!
Good luck

I'm confused.... Where does it say that the neighbour was nasty or unpleasant?
People, please don't stoke misunderstanding and antipathy.

They have shot the dogs that were attacking their chickens, which may be totally reasonable and legal in their area. They have refused compensation, perhaps because the dog owner's attitude was an understanding and responsible one. Or maybe they feel bad about shooting the dogs even though they had every right to do so.... if you read the other post I linked to, which may not be the other party in this case, but still gives the other side of a similar story, the chicken owner is not being nasty or unreasonable. They just want to prevent it happening again.

Some people don't want/like to deal with these potential neighbour conflict situations, perhaps for fear of saying something they regret later or just wanting to forget and move on. Perhaps they too are unsure of their legal standing and are worried the other party is thinking about taking action against them for shooting the dogs..... a formal letter delivered and signed for via the postal system might reinforce that concern, I would think.
A simple note put through the door, apologising, explaining how the dogs got out, the steps that have been taken to rectify that situation and perhaps acknowledging that their action in shooting the dogs was perfectly understandable and offering to pay for replacement birds would be the route I would take. You could photocopy the note (if you feel a need to record things) and perhaps take the mother of the boy with you when you go to deliver it, so that she witnessed the delivery and if the chicken owner is present then you could both explain.

Or you could just let it drop altogether. Your thoughts and actions have been documented here on BYC and I would say clearly indicate that you are a responsible dog owner.

If somebody came in my yard I'd be furious. Whatever the dogs doled out would be their fault for coming through my gate past the signs that say to stay out onto a property they aren't welcome in. I don't like people. I extra don't like kids. Get off my land.
I also don’t like people. Not all people but most people. :D

Ugh sounds like my town. Watch your back. I have nasty awful neighbors too although there has never been any issue with my dogs, they're just nasty.
Ditto @BabyBoss my neighbors are complete and utter jerks. They called the health department on me for my little bantam silkie roo (not allowed to have Roos in my town) when they really didn’t like that I was composting near my property line. Some people are just the nasty jerks!
I rehomed my whole flock as I felt that they were going to keep bothering me or take me to court. This March I’m getting 6 new hens and building a new coop. I’m going to tell my neighbors that my family has decided to raise pigs in our backyard now. I can’t wait to see their reactions from they're going to be priceless!:lau

I'm confused.... Where does it say that the neighbour was nasty or unpleasant?
See quote below, but I agree these threads get out of hand because folks often don't read the whole thread carefully enough or just use it as a spring board for their own experiences, woes, etc.
As for my neighbor and his chickens- his wife got back with me. Informed me they didn’t care about the chickens as they wander often and these things happen. However she did go on to say a few things I felt were wrong of her. She thinks I should rehome my dogs or move (least they “go missing one day”), and that I don’t understand how things work around here because I’m not a Harrison or Smuin, and they’ve farmed these lands for 100 years, and I don’t belong in this neighborhood. She then went on to say my dogs are likely to attack a child and she’ll be letting the other neighbors know that.

Back
Top Bottom