dog nail clipping

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
How do you clip a dogs nails?, My jack russels nails are getting very long and sharp and people dont like picking him up because if he clings onto you it really hurts

I have a jack russel too and I clip his nails any time they get really sharp.. which is almost once a week because he chews on them to make 'em sharp lol. I have a regular dog clipper for nails but I've used human fingernail clippers too in a pinch! Just watch out for the quick (the pink thing you can see in the nail) so that they don't bleed. Here's a link to help you more:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_claws.aspx

What color are his nails? It is a lot easier to trim my lab's because she has clear nails, and you can see the quick. However, my chihuahua's nails are black, and I am always afraid that I will accidentally cut the quick and make her bleed. I haven't yet though, knock on wood...I use a sturdy pair of trimmers made just for dogs, it seems to help prevent cracking. I am sure you can look it up on youtube so you can see people doing it. It is very important to keep your dog's nails trimmed, if they grow too long it could become painful for him walk. Also, if your dog isn't used to having his nails trimmed, you might need someone to help you out, and white flour works well to stop bleeding if you accidentally cut one too short. Remember to be calm, dog's definitely pick up on how we are feeling. Good luck.
big_smile.png

i really dont want to risk it i might just have to wait to buy some dog nail clippers. i just dont want to hurt him
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom