Dog question

mountainlover

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2013
My dog, a standard poodle, is obsessed with the baby chicks. I am hoping that she will be protective of them, but you never know right? Anyway, she wants to lick them! What do you think?? We have a lot of predators so I really want to train her to look after them, if possible.

It's a good idea to teach the dog that the chickens are family members, not a snack for them. I live in the woods and have a LOT of coyotes, raccoons, fox, ex boyfriends(don't ask) and all sorts of other predators steal from the coop. Luckily I also have 3 dogs and they bark when they sense something outside.
As for the baby chicks, I'm in the same situation as you. I got more baby chickens this year and my dogs all have different thoughts on it. One of my labs tries to mother them (giving gentle kisses) and the other thinks they are a snack! What I've been trying to do is walk around the house for a little bit every day, holding one of the chicks. The dogs follow me around wondering what's going on. I've been letting one dog at a time with me in the same room as the chick when I go sit down. I'll talk to both the dog and the chick making sure the dog knows the chick is a friend. At this point, I wouldn't let the dog lick the chicks in case they get the wrong idea. I scolded my lab if he put his mouth anywhere near the baby, and now he just watches them.
After a while, my dogs just ignore the chickens outside and don't bother the baby chicks. Every dog is different so I would try different things to get used to the chickens.
The great thing about dogs though is once they accept a new member of the family, they'll protect them like they would with the rest of the family. So in essence, once you get your dog to realize that the chickens are family members, the dog will protect them.

It is certainly a good idea to get the dog used to the chicks as family members. You know your dog best though, my old lab I would probably trust to lick the chicks, but my Aussie puppy would probably try to eat them. To be safe, we have our brooder in a room with a gate. I have been showing both dogs the chicks through the gate and telling them it is a friend to get them used to it. Both my dogs are gentle with the older hens outside, the puppy likes to chase them but has never nipped at them. They know they are family members and they get pretty upset when there are any animals out near the coop

Good advice from you both, thank you. I know my dog is a spaz and wants to play, even though she's 10 years old. She has never harmed our outdoor rabbit but will chase him around if given the chance. But he plays back too. So I will do what you said and make sure she gets to know them like family members, but not let her lick them I think.

To help introduce the idea of these baby chicks as family members, you might want to lay a bath towel on your lap, and watch some TV in the early evening, lights down low in the livingroom, with a sleepy chick on your lap.

Shmccarthy. I love your post. I just got baby chicks and have a yellow lab who is very intereste in the baby chicks. I gave him a bone when i brought the chicks into the house and have been trying to show him the babies a few at a time. It seems to be working at least he is notlicking his chops or going into their room. Thanks for your post

Poodles are retrievers, bird dogs. They are not responsible for their haircuts. You may be able to teach the poodle that the chickens are not dinner. We cannot even begin to try with our English Setters. Birds are birds and birds are to be fetched.

Our lab (Moose) is the guardian of the chickens and he is a formative retriever in the field. It all comes down to temperament and training. Just two weeks ago another lab got in the yard and met our rooster (CB), before the kids could get me Moose had the other lab on his back yelping. Needless to say he hasn't made another attempt to get in the fence. Luckily CB made it through the ordeal unscathed, but we are sure it was do to Mooses reaction.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom