Dogs eating chicken feed

Thebernards

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
My two dogs just went through 35 pounds of feed in a day. They're great with the chickens besides their eating all of their feed. I can't constantly monitor them because I have a life and they protect the animals when I'm not there, and I can't raise the feed because they are Saint Bernards and extremely tall and can reach on top of my fridge.
1f62d.png
Advice? My spouse wants to get rid of the dogs but I don't think we will ever find such gentle dogs with all livestock and our 5 kids.

I'm talking about the actual feeders where the chickens eat out of, not the storage of it, lol. I bought a large commercial feeder that has a grate over the feed but they still got into it somehow.

18. I bought the feeder because of how it was built, I was hoping it would keep them out.

Last edited:
And we let the birds free range so the coop is always open for them to get in/out. Only thing I can think is we can possibly make a door that is big enough for the chickens but too small for the dogs?? Just trying to avoid that though.

Last edited:
Yes. We have a raccoons, opposums and coyotes that eye our coop constantly but my dogs chase them away at night and during the day too. I've seen them protect them on a few occasions and has made me grateful.

Most recent was yesterday from a cat of all things. I watched my female literally bap the cat on the head when the cat jumped on one of our pullets backs until the cat ran, but she didn't go far enough so she chased her out more. We just watched and was once again impressed.

Last edited:
And we let the birds free range so the coop is always open for them to get in/out. Only thing I can think is we can possibly make a door that is big enough for the chickens but too small for the dogs?? Just trying to avoid that though.

That door thing may be the best idea, with the door reinforced so that the big strong St. Bernards won't be able to break their way into it.

Back
Top Bottom