Dogs. Training Mine and SSS neighbors? Question

Charrisse

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Nashville, Indiana
Ok,
So long story short - my old pom had to be put down last week, age and illness. We are in the country, don't like not having a dog around for warning us when someone or something is nearby.. so I got on pet finder and found what I wanted - a Golden-doodle. (Golden Retriever/ Poodle) Now Ive had both these breeds before - and loved each, and so I wanted this guy because he is from two extremely trainable smart breeds, he is hypoallergenic and can be inside with minimal or no shedding, he is already basics trained. He is 10 months old, fixed. I go pick him up from the rescue tomorrow.
How do I train him to protect and not murder my girls? Ive never trained a dog before regarding chickens.

Secondly, this lady who is nice, and has a blind dog in a red sweater, walks said blind dog up and down the road. Well, she let her dog crap in my yard over and over till I gave her the stink eye long enough that she now crosses the road and lets the dog crap over there. When I made conversation with her non confrontation-ally one day , I said, Benny wont potty up by the road and away from the house now because SOME OTHER DOG keeps marking that spot and hes scared now.. Benny being the old pom who passed last week.
Well, she took the hint I guess cause her old blind dog on a leash in the red sweater she at least drags across the road to crap in the neighbors yard (who also have chickens) Well, recently HER next door neighbors dog, a LARGE Rottweiler (did I mention HUGE?!?!) has started walking with her, and her blind sweater-ed dog, and NOT on a leash, and now IT is crapping in my yard and has begun taking interest in the chickens. Today I stepped out on the porch and yelled at it and clapped my hands, and blind sweater dog and lady walked off and watched from a distance. She says.. oh hes not mine. YA well HE is walking with you daily!
So now what?
I don't want to start a neighborhood war, but it is just a matter of time before the bored rot comes trotting the half a mile over here for chicken nuggets one day.
I'm going to get a charger, and run electric fencing soon for my two mini cows, and I think Ill run electric tape around the coop and run and all along the front of my yard too, but A) I don't feel like I should have to, and B) I wont have it up right away..

Thanks for following with me on this one. Two separate issues really, but I do need the advice!

I brought home a dog today. He is perfect in every way (4yo, healthy, gentle with my kids, people oriented)... except he wants to kill my birds. One sight of them and he loses his mind. So, I second you, dog-chicken training advice please?

I brought home a dog today. He is perfect in every way (4yo, healthy, gentle with my kids, people oriented)... except he wants to kill my birds. One sight of them and he loses his mind. So, I second you, dog-chicken training advice please?

Thats what Im afraid of LOL Our new pup should fit us perfectly - I just dont know how he will react to the chickens. Hes a city boy - fixin to be introduced to country livin at its best LOL
Really tho.. Im nervous. He will 1) be on a leash while we are outside until I have him trained to the 2) invisible fencing that DOES NOT include the coop or run area (or should it..?) and 3) I will eventually be running electric fencing around the coop and run for other predators..
AGH.... Must protect the biddies!!! But Id really love our new pup to help protect em too

They make some really lovely and affordable electric poultry netting that keeps chickens in and dogs out so you don't have to worry about either animal. It costs about a $1 a foot but it is worth every single penny to have the peace of mind that comes with knowing without a doubt that you don't have to worry anymore about either animal. It has built in push in stakes and it takes mere minutes to put it up, it is attractive and VERY effective for four legged preds...even the smaller ones that might be able to slip under regular electric wire.

Can't help it about the poop in the yard....for that you might invest in a BB gun and have a little fun.

it'll be a long time for either of you to be able to let the dog run with the chickens... we are going through the same at the moment, we're picking a year old pitbull from the shelter on friday... She will be trained the same way all my other dogs are train, on leash, a lot of NO!!, LEAVE IT!!!, good girl, and under supervision for a long period of time.

Your neighbors already started a neighborhood war by letting their dogs crap in your yard.You can either tolerate it or put an end to it.Gotta nip it now.

Give the crap back(literally),and tell them ,"Your dog is not permitted in my yard.It damages my property and puts my family and livestock at risk."

Seems obvious to not allow your dog to drop a load in someones yard,or wander and sniff up their property,but sometimes you have to spell it out. If it occurs after that warning then you could mace the dog or shoot it if it is showing signs of aggresion towards you.

Really petty option would be to take your dog to crap in their yard and when they come out ask them if they like this exchange of crap for crap. I would try first to difuse the sitauition by talking directly," Listen, I really don't like having your dog crap in my yard even if you did pick it up,which you never do.Please stop." Some people actually think it is OK to let their dog crap in your yard.Fertilizer or something.

That reminds me if you catch the dog in the act you can give the owner a bag(with a few holes) and stand there till they pick it up.Ofcourse if they refuse I would just toss it in their drive later.

The electric poultry netting would slow a rott down,but only a secure pen will protect them. I put a fence around my entire property,but I still get walkers(lol makes me think of the walking dead show) in the front yard along the road.Thankfully none with dogs....yet.

Best wishes.Sorry about having to put your dog down.Hope the new dog works out well.

I would suggest electric fencing your property. It's your responsibility to protect your animals. It's your neighbor's responsibility to do the same for their animals - but you can't a.) force them to shoulder that responsibility or b.) be responsible in place of them. If you feel like you can, go to the rotti's owner and ask them to please keep the dog at home. If they refuse, you have to weigh your options. It might be more of a problem to start a neighborhood war over it than to simply do what you can to keep it (and all the stray animals that will certainly come along later) off of your property. There might be many other options that are 'within your rights' but often, they aren't really practical in day-in-day-out living near someone.

Have you thought about your choice of breed?

1. A Labrador is trained to hunt and retrieve crippled birds. This is an instinct that has been bred through for hundreds of years.

2. Ditto the Poodle, but for a longer length of time.

3. They are NOT hypoallergenic. In fact, the majority of them shed just as much as the Labrador. This is simple mendelian genetics. Its a pet peve of mine as a veterinarian, sorry, see too many that get surrendered to shelters by shocked owners when the figure out that they shed.

Sorry, I think you're trying to fight an uphill battle on this one. At least my 2 labradors are long trained on birds... ie for hunting... and I would never, never, never trust them not to harass the chickens. In fact, one got out of its pen last night... and Hudson diligently hunted it down and returned it to me unharmed. The chicken, however, was pretty ******.

Have you thought about breeds that are actually herding/working dogs? Especially breeds that have been used for livestock guarding? Ironically, that Rott that keeps wandering on to yourr property could probably be trained to be an AWESOME chicken guard dog. I mean, any dog is going to require training... but its nice to not start with an uphill battle!

Poppycock! I've had three labs and lab/mix dogs and I have trusted them fully at all times to guard my chickens and they have each done so without ever failing in that trust. Just because you own a dog of that breed that you have been unable to trust does not condemn the whole breed, nor does my owning those that are wonderful with livestock of any kind mean the whole breed is trustworthy.

Take each animal, regardless of breed, on it's own merit and see how they do...the breeds you have chosen are great dog breeds even if they don't end up acting well around your chickens or even if they don't prevent other dogs from killing them. Thus my vote for the electric netting around your birds for safety and getting the dog you wish for your own companionship and to guard your home.

Last edited:
Patience and training can work wonders. We have a bird dog who hunts regularly- he knows the chickens are off-limits("no-bird"). He killed one when he was a pup but IMO that was due to being a pup, not his breed. (Also DH left him unattended with the chickens ranging.
hmm.png
) There have been no further casualties. We also have four other dogs: a Lab, an Australian shepherd, and two Russian mountain dogs- they all were interested in chicks, but by the time the birds were big/old enough to range, the dogs were bored with it all. They do get pretty annoyed, though, when the hens come over to try to steal the dogs' knuckle bones!

Back
Top Bottom