Dominique "sport" genetics

Jaime918

Songster
Nov 27, 2021
Pahrump, Nevada
When breeding, does the rooster or hen play the biggest role in the colors produced?

I currently have 3 separate bloodlines for the Dominique, one of which holds the lines to throw "sports". My last hatch, I had one "sport" but it unfortunately pipped a large vein and passed in the egg, but I have one that came out gray and yellow and a girl so I feel she holds the possibility of throwing "sport"? She's lighter than my males.

Could someone break down in simple terms for my pea brain the basics of coloring genetics?

Can you show what this supposed “sport” is?
I don't currently have any photos of my own as I don't own any yet, hoping my girl can throw the gene when she matures. They are a solid white Dominique.
Screenshot_2022-06-27-13-16-51-743.jpg

I'm not following what you have going on. Also never heard of "sport" Dominiques.
Sometimes when people refer to sports what they're referring to are recessive white birds. The recessive whites need a gene from each parent to show as whites. Birds can carry one copy of the gene sight unseen and pass it on for generations.
When two birds that carry it are bred and each passes on that gene then that's when they start showing up.
If you had a white show up that died in shell then you indeed have the genes and could get more from the same pairing.
What I don't understand is this juvenile female you referred to. She sounds like something totally different and pics of her would help.
I still believe the sports you showed are recessive white and the birds used to produce them would either be white sports or normal patterned Dominique that carry recessive white.

I'm not following what you have going on. Also never heard of "sport" Dominiques.
Sometimes when people refer to sports what they're referring to are recessive white birds. The recessive whites need a gene from each parent to show as whites. Birds can carry one copy of the gene sight unseen and pass it on for generations.
When two birds that carry it are bred and each passes on that gene then that's when they start showing up.
If you had a white show up that died in shell then you indeed have the genes and could get more from the same pairing.
What I don't understand is this juvenile female you referred to. She sounds like something totally different and pics of her would help.
I still believe the sports you showed are recessive white and the birds used to produce them would either be white sports or normal patterned Dominique that carry recessive white.
That's the word I was looking for *recessive*, but in my Dom groups they call the all white ones "sports" so I guess the title varies. I'll get photos of her here shortly when I'm home. Instead of almost black/slate/tan as most come out she came out gray and yellow(the same yellow the solid whites show at hatch, if that makes sense). She's almost fully feathered now, but distinctly lighter in color.

Her barring is very strange. Not that that’s helping but I couldn’t help but notice. Only one or two black bars per feather, with the bars being quite thin.

Back
Top Bottom