Dominique Thread!

Well my first attempt at raising Doms failed miserably. Out of two batches that I bought of hatching eggs, only one hatched. And that one died recently. I'm going to have to decide if I want to try again with Doms or go another direction.

Well my first attempt at raising Doms failed miserably. Out of two batches that I bought of hatching eggs, only one hatched. And that one died recently. I'm going to have to decide if I want to try again with Doms or go another direction.

You may be able to find local Dom eggs (or even pick some up on the way home from a vacation). Shipped eggs are tricky, but driving them home in the car should give you a better hatch rate. Have you tried the local BYC thread in your area? Perhaps someone there has Doms. Also, craigslist & facebook could be local sources for eggs. Finally, I've heard that Cackle has decent birds for a hatchery. Mail order chicks can be expensive, but if you have a feed store that uses Cackle, you may be able to order some via your store in spring.

You may be able to find local Dom eggs (or even pick some up on the way home from a vacation). Shipped eggs are tricky, but driving them home in the car should give you a better hatch rate. Have you tried the local BYC thread in your area? Perhaps someone there has Doms. Also, craigslist & facebook could be local sources for eggs. Finally, I've heard that Cackle has decent birds for a hatchery. Mail order chicks can be expensive, but if you have a feed store that uses Cackle, you may be able to order some via your store in spring.
I got my Dom eggs from http://www.nantahala-farm.com/ I am from wisconsin so it was a ways to ship. The eggs were packed well and I got 50% hatch. Beautiful chicks.

I got my Dom eggs from http://www.nantahala-farm.com/ I am from wisconsin so it was a ways to ship. The eggs were packed well and I got 50% hatch. Beautiful chicks.

Not always, I have Doms and dom eggs. I have some Teenage dom's I will be culling soon. They are from Urch's stock, They did well at last years shows, hopefully better this year...

I am in Minn...

Yes I've looked at their birds before. Not sure if it's what I'm looking for in the type department.

I've looked around quite a bit. I've even contacted the national Dom club. Like I said, I may decide to go for another breed. Considering a breed with lacing...

I've got some eggs that should be hatching this Saturday. Looking forward to adding some more domineckers to the flock. A couple of the eggs should be from my speckled Sussex hens...but a dom rooster. Any ideas what these could end up looking like?

The cuckoo is dominant, so those chicks will hatch black, BUT be sex-linked.

I don't find them easy to sex at hatch, but when they get their feathers it is easy. Cuckoo will be male, solid black will be female.

Edited to add:

Oops...I looked it up on the calculator...and I was wrong. The cross over Speckeled Sussex is NOT sex-linked, all chicks will be cuckoo.

If it had been Speckeled Sussex over Dominique hens, then the chicks would have been sex-linked....

The other way, with the rooster being Dominique, all of the chicks will look Dominique.

Here is the calculator website, if you want to try it yourself.

I am not possitive what color Sussex count as, so I tried a couple of possibles.

All spangles, mottles (the spots), whatever they are genetically, are recessive, so will not show up.

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm

Back
Top Bottom