Dominique Thread!

My one dominique also lays very light.pinkish-cream colored eggs....maybe very light-tan... and yes, medium sized eggs - smaller than what you would find as a medium in the grocery store.

Depends on your strain. My Doms lay large eggs, and usually medium brown. Also, a pullet's first eggs are usually smaller. They get bigger as she gets the hang of it all. :)

Yay! My Dom hen laid her first egg. Well, I am not sure if it is her first egg, since I just got her a couple weeks ago. I forgot to ask Sam how old she is. The egg is about a medium size though, and I am not sure what size of eggs doms are supposed to lay. I was surprised that it is cream colored and not white. I was expecting white. Not sure why I was expecting white, I just assumed it would be white.
congrats

I would like to start incubating her eggs ASAP if possible. Do you think it would be okay to do so, or should I wait for them to increase in size a little?

Yes, you can definitely incubate them. I have incubated pullet eggs with no problems. You may notice a slight size difference in the chicks that hatch from a small pullet egg versus a large egg from a hen who has been laying for awhile, but I have not noticed any differences in the birds as they mature.

In general if these are her first eggs you will probably notice a slightly lower fertility rate until she lays a couple dozen, but I've found this can vary as well. Go for it and see what happens.

Good luck!

Yes, you can definitely incubate them. I have incubated pullet eggs with no problems. You may notice a slight size difference in the chicks that hatch from a small pullet egg versus a large egg from a hen who has been laying for awhile, but I have not noticed any differences in the birds as they mature.

In general if these are her first eggs you will probably notice a slightly lower fertility rate until she lays a couple dozen, but I've found this can vary as well. Go for it and see what happens.

Good luck!

Thanks. I set three of her eggs today. I will candle them in 5 or 6 days.

Back
Top Bottom