Dominique Thread!

Thought of something else: are dom roosters bigger than most if not all mainland european roosters like leghorns, barnevelders, ancona's etc?

Okay, i took some pics with my phone after forcing my young dominiques out of the coop into twenty mile an hour winds and cold, but hey, the sun was shining. Most of the pics were of them sort of hunkered down, or showing all sorts of bad molt views. Only about six birds out of twenty have much for tail feathers, right now. But will share a couple of shots, cuz people here are curious about the recent Cackle birds. I'm liking them a lot. I know that i'll probably need to work on getting the black out of the beaks and legs.

Okay, that didn't work out just as i had planned. I was going to do commentary, but won't. Last was supposed to be first, okay, now i know.

Photos taken last week, they are about ten, maybe ten and a half weeks old in the photos.

Last edited:
Okay, that didn't work out just as i had planned.  I was going to do commentary, but won't.  Last was supposed to be first, okay, now i know.

Photos taken last week, they are about ten, maybe ten and a half weeks old in the photos.

they look promising to me too. keep us posted on their progress with photos

Okay, i took some pics with my phone after forcing my young dominiques out of the coop into twenty mile an hour winds and cold, but hey, the sun was shining. Most of the pics were of them sort of hunkered down, or showing all sorts of bad molt views. Only about six birds out of twenty have much for tail feathers, right now. But will share a couple of shots, cuz people here are curious about the recent Cackle birds. I'm liking them a lot. I know that i'll probably need to work on getting the black out of the beaks and legs.

I, for one, am interested in the outcome of your Cackle Doms. I'm particularly interested in the U-shape back on the hens and their rosecomb leaders (spike). For some reason not all the Doms get the leader at the back of the comb and that is such an endearing appearance that completes the Dom.

I agree. My doms are breeder stock and only 3 out 5 hens have the spike. My rooster doesn't even have the spike. But the three that do have it look cool!

Hard to tell (for me) which will continue to grow their spikes in, but if that is what i'm selecting for, i don't think that it will be a problem with this line. I'll try to keep track of percentage, tho, as time goes on.

As far as the hens having U shape backs, it will take some more maturation. The birds are all over the place with molt and growth, at this point. Bare backs in pictures, or otherwise, makes me cringe, and i really hate to post photos until that gets worked through.

Back
Top Bottom