don't know if she will make it through the night! Need Help NOWWWWW!!!!!

Okay. I will inform u tomorrow but she is sleeping and I need to sleep. It is 11;45 pm here in nh so I am going to bed thank you all see ya in the morning!!!

And I didn't get a chance to smell the barf also I did not think to smell it oops... But I will smell her breath tomorrow.

Okay so crop is kinda mt and Feels kinda hard Ish soft. But like soft. she is drinking water and she is panting she pooped a little. Should I give her food??? Should I do what? She looks much perkyer today... But still she will NOT try to walk.

What is a chickens temp supposed to be? I can check. Her feathers look ruffled her face looks pale. Her butt is normal. But like I said her butt bones (Idk what to call it) are very close together.

IMG_20180103_071422.jpg

Hmmm I am not sure if she is trying to poop or lay an egg... she just moved which is good she has been limp all day and night not quite enough strength to stand up she is still panting and she might still be tired...

My chicken cumberbatch is very light looks like she absent eat'n in a while

Are you saying that she is light in weight.... ie skin and bone? If so and she hasn't been eating but you can feel contents in her crop, then the chances are that she is impacted.
First and foremost, give her a heat source. If she is emaciated and impacted, she has no means of keeping herself warm..... she may have revived a little as a result of her warm bath but tucking her up with a towel or quilt is not enough..... she needs a heating pad or heat lamp to warm her even in the house.
Next, you need to start massaging her crop to try to break up the blockage.... it may be fibrous material like straw, hay or long grass or a foreign object. Think of her crop as a stress ball and gently squeeze and release. Be guided by her.... if she appears to be enjoying it, you are doing it right. If she is uncomfortable be more gentle and if she is still not happy, then stop. The crop is just a pouch where food is stored during the day so that it can be slowly digested at night. It should be full at roosting time with a healthy chicken and empty in the morning. If she has not been eating and her crop is not empty then that tells you there is a blockage somewhere and the fact that she is "light" or emaciated says that there has been a problem for days more likely, weeks. It may be that the blockage/impaction is lower down her digestive tract, but there is little that can be done about that so all you can do is start trying to work the contents of her crop and hope it is there and you can break it down. If you sit her on an old towel on your knee and do about 10-15 mins of massage 4 x a day and put a vitamin and electrolyte supplement in her water that may give her a little strength to keep her alive. Be aware she may well vomit during the process if she has been drinking lots. Sometimes it helps to vomit them first, if the crop is very full and squishy. This is risky, so not to be undertaken lightly as they can aspirate (breath in) their vomit which may lead to infection in the lungs and can prove fatal. If you feel it is necessary to vomit her, seek advice here before doing so or do a search on You Tube and watch several tutorials on it before giving it a go.

She is most likely very seriously ill and if you have the funds for a veterinary visit, that might be your best option, but I understand that that is not always possible and that many vets either will not see chickens or know nothing about them, so it can be wasted money if you do go. Not trying to put you off but give you all the facts. It she has lost too much weight then it can be very difficult to bring them back from the brink.

Warmth, fluids with electrolytes and vitamins and gentle massage is the best that I can suggest at this stage.

Good luck

Barbara

Good morning.

Measure those butt bones by placing your fingers side by side between them. If your get two fingers between them, she has been laying. If only one finger fits, she hasn't ever laid eggs yet.

Back to the crop, yes, I agree that her problem may very well be sour crop especially since she vomited a bit after you got through feeling around it. Do what @rebrascora describes and massage the crop. If you feel some solid, hard matter that won't soften after massaging it, try some solid coconut oil on your finger. She may eat it off your finger. If not, swipe it into her beak. Try to get a full teaspoon into her. Massage again. If the hard mass still doesn't break up, repeat with another teaspoon of solid coconut oil and more massage.

Next you will need to treat the sour crop. The treatment is miconazole. Can you get to Walmart? You need to pick up a tube of vaginal yeast itch cream. Get the cheap stuff. About $5. You want to squeeze off about half an inch onto your finger and get her to eat it. If she won't take it off your finger, open her beak and swipe it off your finger just inside her beak.

Do this twice a day for seven days.

You can let her eat some chopped boiled egg. Maybe some grated raw carrot. But no bread or anything starchy. The sugar feeds the yeast infection in her crop.

She will begin to feel better after a day of treatment, but keep it up twice a day for a full seven days.

Back
Top Bottom