Don't know what breed or gender you have? Click here!

I'm trying to decide if two of these birds are pullets or cockerels. They're 10 1/2 weeks old. The first one is definitely a cockerel. He's crowing, getting pointed saddle feathers and feathered extremely slowly compared to the other chicks in the flock.View attachment 1044381

This next one is one we're trying to decide on. Large wattle and comb, but no crowing, saddle feathers don't appear long and thin like the first one, but the tail looks a little long Plus it seems to be relatively dominant. I'll add this one feathered quickly like our other pullets.
View attachment 1044378

This 3rd one we REALLY are unsure of.. it feathered like the other pullets, evenly and quickly. Large comb and wattle, but no pointed saddle feathers or crowing, last night my room was climbing on top of this one persistently and we heard a decent amount of squawking.
View attachment 1044380

Thanks!

All male.

No comb development yet, just a small triangular patch that looks like fine grit, black sandpaper.

It's those long legs and the general shape of the head that make it stand out so much from the other 19 fluff balls I got yesterday, all mostly brahmas, Cochins, japs and oegbs from what I can tell.

Ok. Doesn't sound like a single comb, then, which narrows it down more.

I think Serama is likely. Please update, since they're a little young to be sure.

All male.
Thanks! Should I expect the other two to start crowing soon? They're Cochins or at least part Cochin. Any recommendation to how many hens I should have per roo? I've only got 8 birds total with these 3 included in the 8. My kids would be devastated if they went away so I'd like to avoid that :(

Thanks! Should I expect the other two to start crowing soon? They're Cochins or at least part Cochin. Any recommendation to how many hens I should have per roo? I've only got 8 birds total with these 3 included in the 8. My kids would be devastated if they went away so I'd like to avoid that :(

Crowing really depends on the individual. With more than one roo especially, some might not crow much or crow late because of the top guy that is their boss.

That isn't enough girls for them all - I recommend five per cockerel, though more is better and some might get along with less. If you can't get more and really want to keep them, you might want to consider a bachelor pad. :)

Crowing really depends on the individual. With more than one roo especially, some might not crow much or crow late because of the top guy that is their boss.

That isn't enough girls for them all - I recommend five per cockerel, though more is better and some might get along with less. If you can't get more and really want to keep them, you might want to consider a bachelor pad. :)
So with a bachelor pad, can I still free range them together or do I have to keep them seperately at all times? I'm very new to this whole thing I'd love more chickens but I think my husband might be less than thrilled if I got 10 more birds

So with a bachelor pad, can I still free range them together or do I have to keep them seperately at all times? I'm very new to this whole thing I'd love more chickens but I think my husband might be less than thrilled if I got 10 more birds
So it's possible for a rooster to feather out the same way as the hens do early on?

They'd have to be separate at all times, out of sight and hopefully sound. You might have trouble with fighting, but lots of people don't.

So it's possible for a rooster to feather out the same way as the hens do early on?

Definitely!

I was given some eggs by someone who said they were purely ameraucana. Not knowing much about that breed I'm gonna trust that that's what I was given.
I was wanting to find out if the chick was a true ameraucana and if so what color would she be when she was fully grown?
Also, she is only 3-4 days and I was wondering if there was a way to check her gender without venting. Is the wing test reliable, and if so is it reliable at such a young age. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom