Dosage for Duramycin/Tetracycline??

So very confusing for the average small flock owner. I can't locate any decent amount of tetracycline locally (only big amounts for the larger farmers) but can locate packets of water soluble for fish. So I'm going to try that and hope I can figure this mess out...getting a headache already! lol
Just buy the farm stuff, it's cheaper. Let me know exactly which one you get and I will tell you how much to put in a gallon or quart.

-Kathy

Oxytetracycline

Package weighs 181.5 grams and has 10 grams oxytetracycline.
10 ÷ 181.5 = 0.055, which means it's 5.5% oxytetracycline, 94.5% filler
One gram = 55mg
One teaspoon weighs about 3 grams which = 165mg x 5 teaspoons = 825 mg
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = 5 teaspoons (825mg is close enough)

Oxytetracycline

This package weighs 280 grams
Package contains 102.4 grams oxytetracycline

102.4 / 280 = 0.37 , which means that it's 37% oxytetracycline and 63% filler
370 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 370mg = 1110 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~3/4 teaspoons

Tetracycline Powder 5.5% (55mg per gram)

Package weighs 181 grams and has 10 grams tetracycline.
10 ÷ 181 = 0.055, which means it's 5.5% tetracycline, 94.5% filler
One gram = 55mg
One tablespoon weighs about 10 grams which = 550 mg
800 ÷ 550 = 1.45 tablespoons
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = 1.5 tablespoons (825mg is close enough)

Oxytetracycline - 343

102.4 / 135.5 = 0.76 , which means that it's 76% oxytetracycline and 24% filler
760 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 760mg = 2280 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~1/3 slightly rounded teaspoon

-Kathy

Im sorry, I dont mean to highjack this but as I was reading your post trying to figure out my dosage... my brain started to smoke haha I would apprecaite it if anyone can answer this question on dosage. I have been going through it with my poor lab and her heart worms. I ran over to the tractor supply and got a power bag of Oxytetracycline but I cant for the life of me find the dosage for a dog and how to get it from power to water. If there is anything you can do, I would greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for HOURS! Its a 10 gram bag, 181.5 grams weight. How in the world do I get 20 mg out of this bag? She weighs around 70lbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok thank you for that. I have been reading conflicting dosage all over the place for dogs. Is that mixed in 1 gallon? And then how much of the gallon do I give her at once?

Ok thank you for that. I have been reading conflicting dosage all over the place for dogs. Is that mixed in 1 gallon? And then how much of the gallon do I give her at once? 

I think you need to give 4.25 teaspoons orally three times a day, which means you have to mix it in water and squirt it in her mouth.

Where did you see a recommendation of only 20 mg? And why are you wanting to give it?

-Kathy

That sounds like a lot to me, there is only 1 cup in the bag....so that wouldn't last hardly any time. I saw the 20 on the healthy pets site talking about dosage. On the package everything says in a gallon. She has heartworms, and im treating the infection side of it.

Back
Top Bottom