Double yolk egg, one baby?

magonza777

Hatching
Jul 25, 2020
Hello,
I have hen that has a double yolk egg. Fortunately only one yolk was fertilized and there is definitely only one baby inside. I'm wondering if this little one will need more time to hatch because of the extra yolk/food it has to absorb? I completely understand the whole process of hatching and would like to know if I should expect it to take longer to hatch? The egg is definitely a larger egg for just one baby. I'm glad there is only one, because I do believe it has a nearly perfect chance of hatching. Any thoughts or opinions on this? BTW, I am a dove breeder. I realize that this forum is about chickens, put I figured people who own chickens would know alot more about egg hatching then anyone else. You guys are the experts. I hope you guys don't mind my joining. 😊

Hello,
I have hen that has a double yolk egg. Fortunately only one yolk was fertilized and there is definitely only one baby inside. I'm wondering if this little one will need more time to hatch because of the extra yolk/food it has to absorb? I completely understand the whole process of hatching and would like to know if I should expect it to take longer to hatch? The egg is definitely a larger egg for just one baby. I'm glad there is only one, because I do believe it has a nearly perfect chance of hatching. Any thoughts or opinions on this? BTW, I am a dove breeder. I realize that this forum is about chickens, put I figured people who own chickens would know alot more about egg hatching then anyone else. You guys are the experts. I hope you guys don't mind my joining. 😊
Welcome to BYC! We're happy you joined! There is a dove forum on here, where I'm sure you can share your knowledge! Here is a link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/pigeons-and-doves.52/
Is this a dove or a chicken egg? I've never had any double yolked eggs, so I can't answer your question. Maybe @WVduckchick and @BirdsBeesTrees can help. I hope your baby hatches!

Welcome! I have never tried to hatch a double yolker. I have two hens that consistently lay them. I didn't try it this hatch. I'll be watching to see your update. :wee

Welcome, glad you joined. You may find a new home in that dove section.

I don't do doves, just chickens and an occasional turkey. I've never tried to hatch a double yolked egg, too many things can go wrong. Often they require a lot of assistance and it's still risky. There are several threads on the forum about that.

If both yolks are fertilized, both will develop into separate chicks. Some people get two chicks from that but very few. Typically they get none. Occasionally they may get one. Nothing is guaranteed when you hatch. I can't recall any threads where just one of the two developed.

In your position I don't see how you can do anything other than carry on. With only one chick developing I think you have a pretty good chance. I'm assuming it is in an incubator, not under a dove.

I would not expect it to take longer than normal to hatch. I do not think it will get any nutritional benefit from that second yolk. It may get some from the extra white, not sure. When it hatches don't be surprised to see that extra yolk. It may not be in one piece, it may have been ruptured and make things a mess. There may be some extra white in there too, the chick may be a mess.

I don't know if that chick will have trouble positioning itself for internal pip, external pip, or zip. Time will tell. I would expect a baby dove to be more helpless than a chicken chick at hatch. It will certainly be smaller. With chicken chicks and a turkey poult that I assisted they were coated in gunk that dried so the down was not fluffy at all. I rinsed them off in a cup of 100* F water and got a lot of it off but not all. It wore off within a week.

Consider this speculation and guesswork. I have no experience at all with doves. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom