Double yolk egg, one baby?

magonza777

Hatching
Jul 25, 2020
Hello,
I have hen that has a double yolk egg. Fortunately only one yolk was fertilized and there is definitely only one baby inside. I'm wondering if this little one will need more time to hatch because of the extra yolk/food it has to absorb? I completely understand the whole process of hatching and would like to know if I should expect it to take longer to hatch? The egg is definitely a larger egg for just one baby. I'm glad there is only one, because I do believe it has a nearly perfect chance of hatching. Any thoughts or opinions on this? BTW, I am a dove breeder. I realize that this forum is about chickens, put I figured people who own chickens would know alot more about egg hatching then anyone else. You guys are the experts. I hope you guys don't mind my joining. 😊

Hello,
I have hen that has a double yolk egg. Fortunately only one yolk was fertilized and there is definitely only one baby inside. I'm wondering if this little one will need more time to hatch because of the extra yolk/food it has to absorb? I completely understand the whole process of hatching and would like to know if I should expect it to take longer to hatch? The egg is definitely a larger egg for just one baby. I'm glad there is only one, because I do believe it has a nearly perfect chance of hatching. Any thoughts or opinions on this? BTW, I am a dove breeder. I realize that this forum is about chickens, put I figured people who own chickens would know alot more about egg hatching then anyone else. You guys are the experts. I hope you guys don't mind my joining. 😊
Welcome to BYC! We're happy you joined! There is a dove forum on here, where I'm sure you can share your knowledge! Here is a link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/pigeons-and-doves.52/
Is this a dove or a chicken egg? I've never had any double yolked eggs, so I can't answer your question. Maybe @WVduckchick and @BirdsBeesTrees can help. I hope your baby hatches!

This is a ringneck dove egg. Thank you! So awesome to know there is a dove forum on here. 😀 The thing about doves, is that they don't stand at all at first. They just scoot on their belly and sit under mom and dad. They aren't like chickens, becuase they stay in the nest for 2 weeks and then start walking.
@magonza777
Once a person here incubated a double yolker. Only one yolk was fertile and they said that the chick absorbed both yolks and it got way to big to stand and broke its legs. Please be careful.

Back
Top Bottom