There we go! Now I see both. Look at the double spider on #1.

The reasoning is you are more likely to cause a sticking embryo due to the sudden movements, mostly it’s more important for when they get closer to hatching because you don’t want to mis-position them.
You seem like you have a great plan!

I had a feeling #1 was gonna be a good one. 1&7&12 I have high hopes for cuz they’re the biggest at 122, 120, and 125 grams and 7 is just massive. So we will see!

That makes sense actually. Definitely plan on letting them be the closer they get and when I do handle them I’m like overly careful to the point of looking like a lunatic cradling my little eggs

I have incubated and hatched double yolk eggs. You have to be ready to assist the hatch. I'd had experience in helping chicks hatch from eggs previously and the key is moisture without making everything wet. I sat in a bathroom, made it a bit humid and kept a cup of hot water and a paper towel and cue-tip handy to moisten membranes. When you see blood, stop (ie red means stop) and then leave it in the incubator to absorb. With a lot of patience, time and persistence you can hatch chicks that way. I used this method to save double or twin chicks. It's been at least 10 years ago now since I last had interest in hatching. So if it happens again I will document it and try to get pictures.

I have incubated and hatched double yolk eggs. You have to be ready to assist the hatch. I'd had experience in helping chicks hatch from eggs previously and the key is moisture without making everything wet. I sat in a bathroom, made it a bit humid and kept a cup of hot water and a paper towel and cue-tip handy to moisten membranes. When you see blood, stop (ie red means stop) and then leave it in the incubator to absorb. With a lot of patience, time and persistence you can hatch chicks that way. I used this method to save double or twin chicks. It's been at least 10 years ago now since I last had interest in hatching. So if it happens again I will document it and try to get pictures.

Thank you for your input! I figured I will have to help with hatching so I got a little tool kit ready with a bunch of tweezers and such. Read about the process being very tough but anything for my babies! I’ll be sure to do some research on hatch assisting :)

I know that feeling! I had to learn on the fly and it was alright for the other classes, but with the science you just have to have a knack for it I guess :(
Hope she’s doing something she loves now anyway!
She just changed her major and finished a bachelors degree.....she is now a carpenter, seamstress, and bartender.....it pays her bills.

Hi lovely people!

Today was weight/candling day! I did a thorough check of all my babies and made extensive notes for the progress.

AND!

Drum roll...

I took a picture of each egg for you guys so you can see the progress right along with me!

First the weight notes. I weighed every egg and wrote down their current weight right next to their original weight, and did a calculation of the percentage lost. They’re all losing a little more than 2.8% so I put a little bowl with some water inside the bator to up humidity slightly, but since it’s not much more weight they’re losing I’m being careful adding too much.

Quick question for you guys! For next week, do I take 2.8% of their original weight again or do I calculate 2.8% from the weight I got today?

Air cells: it’s actually getting hard to see the air cell in some of them because there’s two dark masses clouding up the egg and stopping the light but I managed to draw the new air cell on most of them! It hadn’t changed much, just a tiiiiiiny but bigger than what it was before.

Now on to the good part! Picture time!!

612FB7BE-0055-497B-8690-8D0CAAA20A1D.jpeg

I’ve got a bad feeling with this one unfortunately, cuz it looks like it hasn’t started developing :(
The yolks are more clear than last week but the others are super dark and this little guy not so much. I’ll give it another week and if there’s still no change I’ll have to toss it :(

0AAC84BB-4E1D-460C-9CD2-98FFBCE88603.jpeg

Yay number 7! Nice veining starting to happen for both embryos! One on the right and one on the left. It was so cool cuz when I stared intently at the dark blobs I could see the little hearts pumping!

94C57FE6-D2FB-49DE-8FD8-98C88EB98DCA.jpeg

This one is confusing me a little bit. The one on the left has a clear heart and veins sprouting but the one on the right is just a dark mass. Though it could just be that the heart is a lot deeper into the egg and that’s why I can’t see anything from that one yet. Will check again next week!

F33C5AA4-FB9E-466B-87BB-6578BBD5E64D.jpeg

Very happy with this one as well. Two clear embryos with nice veins going on.

FC1F2AAE-A4C5-4F03-A21F-CA1883C02661.jpeg

This one currently is my favorite! I could be mistaken but the shape of that little bean there looks like the fetus is developing already! You can clearly see two dark spots. Veins are there, just not as prominent in the picture as some of the others.

45920EEC-8D3A-46CA-9229-2F605DB9B5DE.jpeg

Ahh, number 1. You guys know this one! Still rockin’ it with two nicely developing embryos and great veins sprouting.

714C44DD-0065-4C3E-9A62-636DF71F2C81.jpeg

This is another sad one cuz I think it’s infertile just like #2 :(
Will do the same and check next week, and take it out if nothing has changed.

B52F99A6-BC43-4EA5-A367-4096C8B311E0.jpeg

Little number 4 is also a bit puzzling, since I’m only able to really see 3 developing embryo. However it’s possible they’re just very close together so will keep you guys posted.

54079170-DC9B-4654-9722-D6080D0F1AC9.jpeg

Another slightly confusing one. This one is like #8, where I see two masses but only one with clear veins like in the picture. The other dark mass is a little below this one and was hard to capture. Not sure how it’s gonna go but will definitely be watching!

FFEE95E4-D7A9-4836-9F32-C9D7FDC9B641.jpeg

This one is like #4 where I only see one developing embryo sadly. This one is definitely a single I believe, where only one yolk stared to grow. Not culling it though, as long as the baby lives that’s fine with me even without it being a twin!

8DFCD28C-EB3D-4AEB-9EDF-B71A91A29D7A.jpeg

You guys are familiar with this guy too! Number 6 is stubborn though, as you know, because the embryos are on exact opposite ends so I was only able to get one set of veins and heart in the picture. The other one is ok the left at the back of the egg, but you can still see the dark mass.

511E0543-5F97-4167-8599-6D206726BAA2.jpeg

Last but not least! Hearts aren’t as visible with this guy but still two clearly developing embryos with nice veins!

Hope you guys enjoyed this little update, and feel free to offer your input on things or ask questions!

Happy clucking!

Marly

Number 8 has suddenly gone pale, does anyone know what this means? Should I be sad :( ?

Attachments

• 7EEF8A9E-BDAD-4325-9CA0-6095C9BD458B.jpeg
    7EEF8A9E-BDAD-4325-9CA0-6095C9BD458B.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 29

Back
Top Bottom