Dough Hill Farms

Well behaved is the perfect rooster! I once had a really mean boy, attacked me and was rough on the hens when he was young. I kept him away from the girls until he was about 4 when he seemed to calm down. He was a bit better with me at this age but it wasn't until he was 7 years old did he start to respect me. He got really sweet in his old age. I was glad I didn't rehome or put him down, I miss the crazy boy.
Yes I can see that when you get attached to one. I’ve always get Roosters when there chicks then I start disciplining them when there about 4 months old it’s worked for years. When one gets rough with a hen he always favors and she starts loosing her feathers I remove her for a while. I don’t like those things the put on there back for protection I don’t mine just removing her for a bit.

Yes I can see that when you get attached to one. I’ve always get Roosters when there chicks then I start disciplining them when there about 4 months old it’s worked for years. When one gets rough with a hen he always favors and she starts loosing her feathers I remove her for a while. I don’t like those things the put on there back for protection I don’t mine just removing her for a bit.
It's definitely best to start early with the boys. They are so programmed to be the boss. Set them straight as youngsters and they tend to respect you more. Glad you are a "Rooster Whisperer!" :D

Here’s some pics from the year 2019-2021 of a Flock I had when they were young to adult hood. That pen I re-done and made it more predator proof than before when I first built it also put a top on it this time. I was ready to start over when I sold them I enjoy raising baby chicks.
F6AC9010-03B7-4D65-8A9B-C6BBE4E13F32.jpeg
61D2D71A-BEBD-4456-A928-9A3E2418C516.jpeg
997BF85C-8880-4DB4-996D-378AA588465B.jpeg
599A7EC2-C56E-46DB-AC55-6C3A47826069.jpeg

Thanks I always like a variety of colors in my flock and it helped me in my early years of raising chickens what breed was good and not so good.
Definitely good to try a variety of breeds. I was surprised at the different qualities of attitudes and personalities each breed has. I was under the impression that chickens were basically all the same. :D But they are all different!

Definitely good to try a variety of breeds. I was surprised at the different qualities of attitudes and personalities each breed has. I was under the impression that chickens were basically all the same. :D But they are all different!
Yes it’s a good thing the first couple years I was a New Hampshire fan you couldn’t get me to try another breed. I always had problems with that breed I think they have a low cold weather tolerance and disease resistance too mine was always a low egg producer and the last Bach I got a couple got egg bound so for a couple years I took a break from chickens and re-grouped and that’s when I decided to just start getting a variety all the time now since that has happened I can keep hatching my own. I always liked the color of the Delawares and thought I would try them this year. Thanks for following along.

Yes it’s a good thing the first couple years I was a New Hampshire fan you couldn’t get me to try another breed. I always had problems with that breed I think they have a low cold weather tolerance and disease resistance too mine was always a low egg producer and the last Bach I got a couple got egg bound so for a couple years I took a break from chickens and re-grouped and that’s when I decided to just start getting a variety all the time now since that has happened I can keep hatching my own. I always liked the color of the Delawares and thought I would try them this year. Thanks for following along.
Good to know on the New Hampshires, I have considered them over the years. I have never kept Delaware’s however they are on my wish list. Such a pretty bird. 💖 I like the looks of some of these Game birds, however they can be aggressive so I'm too nervous to start with them. The next got to have bird is Swedish Flower hens, super eye candy there! 💗

Thanks for letting me butt in here! :D

Back
Top Bottom