Drainage and cleaning...

Trevorusn

Crowing
Apr 15, 2019
New Hampshire
Howdy. So this is week 2 of having our chicks outside in the coop. Our coop is from TSC and we used pressure treated 2x6s for flooring to prevent digging predators from coming in. However, in cleaning the flooring weekly we are seeing that after hosing and pushing out the coop, the dirty water does not drain quickly.
20190615_152439.jpg
20190615_152418.jpg
I clean it while the chicks free range, and so far have only the wood as flooring. I'm curious in what methods folks are using for efficient drainage while still keeping out predators. Also, I just read up on using river sand for flooring, would this be far better and more sanitary than keeping the bare wood and pressure washing??

If predators are a concern, a welded wire or hardware cloth apron outside the coop is a better option. Runs shouldn't be hosed out (the one exception might be a concrete floor) because moisture + poop = smell and increased bacterial growth. You can use sand or wood shavings as bedding instead, but keeping things dry is the goal.

Inside the coop you can try sand if you want or continue with the shavings (I don't use either so I can't weigh in on that).

I think we have the exact same coop for temporary housing until the big hen & silkie palace, uh....coop and run are finished.
We dug out a level area and added about 8 in of gravel, next a bottom frame of pressure treated wood with hardware cloth stapled to the very bottom. We then set the coop on the frame , screwed it down and added sand for flooring. So far it is working well but it has only been a week. Where we live lots and lots of rain plus sea air make things flood,rust and rot quicker than in other climates. Also sand is easy to get here , just need to dig under the topsoil and free sand!
I don't know if will stink, I rake it out every day but drainage should be good. I am using shavings in the coop part right now but plan on trying sand and zeolite.
Good luck with your coop and chicks.

From what I've read sand seems to be best for the run area. If I understand correctly, it basically cleans like cat litter and helps keep things dry as well as provide a good dust bath. Would it be ok to mix food grade DE into the sand??? Would that affect ease of cleaning and help inhibit bacterial/pest growth??

From what I've read sand seems to be best for the run area. If I understand correctly, it basically cleans like cat litter and helps keep things dry as well as provide a good dust bath. Would it be ok to mix food grade DE into the sand??? Would that affect ease of cleaning and help inhibit bacterial/pest growth??
I use DE in the run as well as the coop when I change out the shavings or if I see ants.

Back
Top Bottom