Drunk chicken?!

swag1muffins

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
Virginia
I have a rhode island red and this morning she was pale and did not make a effort to greet me this morning. When I picked her up she stayed pale and did not fight me. She still did not react when my dogs sniffed around her. My mother checked if she was egg bound by feeling her sides and the hen attempted to poop twice. She did not poop anything out. She ate and drank a little bit so I put her back out. When I laid her back on the ground she walked as though she was drunk and went to lay in the shade outside where she was earlier in the morning. I want to be sure it is melting or if it is something else. They are about a year old. Any help?

It's possible she is egg bound.

It's also possible she is dehydrated. It'll make a chicken act drunk. Give her a little Pedialyte (available at Welgreens - or Gatorade if it's all you have) and see if she perks up a little.

Have you checked her lately for mites or lice? When was the last time you wormed your flock?

Anyone else showing any weird symptoms?

MrsB

Noone else is showing any symptoms. She does not seem to be eggbound. We gave her a mixture we call "chicken gatorade" and she did not improve. She does not eat often and when she does she enjoys eating wet mashed food. I mix in eggshells for calcium. She has started turning into a indoor chicken. She goes outside with the flock but ends up going to lay down in a corner soon after. She would lay there for hours so I'd bring her back in. She pooped alot the other day compared to the past few so we think it is a good sign. She is still pale and we think her end may be approaches. We are going to try loving her as much as we can in case she does end up leaving us. She does not have lice. She just wants to lay down all day and occasionally stands. Norhing is wrong with her legs.

Last edited:
I had a wazoo exotic breed from family farm and home store (Midwest), who for whatever reason buys birds from breeders establish new non APA breed. This bird was found twice laid out as if sun bathing, but it’s head was under its body. The second it did not get up until I picked it up and set it aside. This appears to be a neurological disorder. I dispatched the bird. I found another bird today that can walk straight (drunk like) and molting. I’ll give her a couple days too and if she doesn’t display progress I’ll dispatch her too as she is now isolated. I believe it’s best to remove them from the flock. This is the first year I’ve ever seen this. Store bought chicks - you never know what you’re getting.

I had a wazoo exotic breed from family farm and home store (Midwest), who for whatever reason buys birds from breeders establish new non APA breed. This bird was found twice laid out as if sun bathing, but it’s head was under its body. The second it did not get up until I picked it up and set it aside. This appears to be a neurological disorder. I dispatched the bird. I found another bird today that can walk straight (drunk like) and molting. I’ll give her a couple days too and if she doesn’t display progress I’ll dispatch her too as she is now isolated. I believe it’s best to remove them from the flock. This is the first year I’ve ever seen this. Store bought chicks - you never know what you’re getting.
Are you sure you aren't dealing with Marek's disease?

Back
Top Bottom