"Drunken" Rooster

LurkinTurken

Hatching
Jul 31, 2016
McArthur, Ohio
Hi all! I just wanted to post to say (again) Thanks! Because of the info on this forum I was able to help my main rooster, Hank, when he got really sick!

2 weeks ago I came home from work and Hank (head guy in charge, I have 3 roosters total) was not moving in the yard. As I approached, he staggered away. He was acting like a drunk, couldn't stand, lost balance, stumbled then would just collapse! I gave him a thorough exam, no physical damage (nothing broken, bleeding, or swollen). His stool was running light yellow. Went straight to BYC, per what I read I put acv, electrolites, vitamins in water. Gave him higher protein feed with yogurt. After 24 hours,no improvement. Back to BYC, after a lot of searching I came across a comment where a commenter stated when their rooster acted this way, they checked his ears, found "mac n cheese" looking gunk cleaned it out with hydrogen peroxide the next day he was fine! With the help of my ol' man, we checked Hank's ears, right side nothing out of the norm when we put hp in it (applied with a qtip, gently swabbing ear, letting tiny amount of the hp to go down canal). As soon as we applied the swab to the left ear, it started foaming and Hank showed signs of discomfort (this was the only time that he tried to get away in the last 48 hours of me handling him for examination). We cleaned a bunch of gunk out, then returned him to the hospital. We were still giving him the treated water and special feed. Less than 24 hours later,he was back on his feet! He wasn't 100%, but it was an amazing improvement. After another 24 hours stool was solid, normal coloring. We kept him in the hospital for all of 6 days, and have kept an eye on him for an additional week. He's back to normal!

Sorry for the long post just to say Y'all saved me again! I wish I could remember the commenter who gave the ear advice, I was searching through posts and comments for hours! And I can't say that was the exact thing that cured him, because everything I did I got the info from multiple post! I thank you and I'm sure Hank would thank you! Hopefully one day I can return the favor!

PS:
One thing that was permanently damaged for Hank was his ranking in the flock! #2 Rooster David Lee Roth stepped up when Hank was out and now after a couple of squabbles he kept it, go figure!

Back
Top Bottom