Drying yolk sac

Kweentut

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Baby chick hatched late Saturday afternoon. Yolk sac was red and big. It bled some and is now drying. Baby has some dried blood on legs and belly. Can I use a wet towel to tidy it up a bit? Or a small soak in water? Maybe a hibicleanse soak? I am worried about the sac pulling off. Baby is eating, drinking, and pooping.

Attachments

• 20230522_221449.jpg
    20230522_221449.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 36
How’s your baby doing now?

Normally in this situation, it will dry up close to the body first, and appear kinda like a thread hanging with a blob attached. Once that section is dry, you can safely clip the blob off. Inspect it first and make sure it doesn’t appear to contain any heavy blood vessels. Usually a little Vaseline or coconut oil rubbed around it will help loosen it around any feathers or skin and make it much simpler to clip off.

How’s your baby doing now?

Normally in this situation, it will dry up close to the body first, and appear kinda like a thread hanging with a blob attached. Once that section is dry, you can safely clip the blob off. Inspect it first and make sure it doesn’t appear to contain any heavy blood vessels. Usually a little Vaseline or coconut oil rubbed around it will help loosen it around any feathers or skin and make it much simpler to clip off.
It still seems rather attached, I do not know where i would clip it. Baby is doing well though. She's eating, drinking, and pooping. She's very active and vocal. I still have her by herself so she doesn't get pecked at. Here's a picture of it this morning. She is 5 days old today.

I don’t see a pic? At 5 days old, I feel sure it will be something you can take care of and not life threatening. Let’s take a look at a pic and see if we can come up with some possibilities. Might just take a little thread (or dental floss, etc) wrapped around it to fully dry it up.

I don’t see a pic? At 5 days old, I feel sure it will be something you can take care of and not life threatening. Let’s take a look at a pic and see if we can come up with some possibilities. Might just take a little thread (or dental floss, etc) wrapped around it to fully dry it up.

20230524_075041.jpg

Hmmm that does look a little bigger than I expected. I think I’d just keep her separated, and let it dry up a little more. Is it blocking her vent in any way? It’s safe to gently rub a little Vaseline or antibiotic ointment on it, to try to avoid any possible infection.

I’ll tag a few other folks that might have better suggestions
@Wyorp Rock @Shadrach @Miss Lydia @21hens-incharge @Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom