Dubbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Ditto, thats just common sense.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I can do it

Unless you plan to show there is no reason you need to.

My observations, and I do not own any gamebirds or have any dubbed roos, is that the birds minded being firmly held far more than they minded having their combs, etc. cut off. All these breeds have single combs. I know my silkies, with their walnut combs seem to have far more feeling in their combs than the gamebirds seemed to. For appearance, it seems like trying to breed a breda comb into the breed might make sense.​

does any one know if modern game bantams HAVE to be dubbed? I just ordered a bunch and if I am going to show them I will have to dub them if this is the case.

AK, yes they have to be dubbed to show.

Some breeders are moving for the APA to allow non-dubbed birds to be entered into shows. Kind of like Great Danes in the AKC.

Why not just assume that dubbing for show birds is also done to keep the birds from having to endure the pain of frostbite? (Frostbite is NOT painless and can kill the bird thanks to gangrene.) Think of it as prevention instead of mutilation.

A chicken with frostbite is in alot more pain, than one that gets dubbed. If you can't get yourself to dubb your chickens because you think it hurts them, just think you chould be saving them from getting frostbite later.

Last edited:
MRN, I believe you misinterpreted my post. I am not against dubbing and was trying to explain it to the opposed from my viewpoint on the subject...at least to those who have a difficult time seeing the advantages of dubbing for "only" show purposes.

so the hatchery offers to dub should I allow them to do this or should I wait and do it myself? I was told in alaska that if you DUB a rooster you can be charged with intention to cockfight.... I suppose I need to find out if that is true....but I want to show these MGB I just ordered so I just have to buck up and do it. I have a friend who is a poultry science major and I suppose I could get her to help me do the deed! also only the roos need to be done?

where can I find the standard for modren games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom