d'Uccle Cult

I need decision help! Itā€™s moving day for these little peepersā€¦

Everyone is 6 weeks old, 8 Dā€™Uccle, 3 bantam Brahma, 2 large fowl

We have an outdoor brooder in the coop that I want to move them to, but Iā€™m not running heat out there right now. Temps are mid 50s at night and up to the 90s over the next week or so. Iā€™ve been weaning them off the heat plate for the past week (itā€™s just a heating pad under a puppy play pen filled with paper cat litter). Would they be ok? Theyā€™re literally bouncing off the walls and ready to be done lol. My husband is done lol. Weā€™ve had chicks inside for almost 6 months now šŸ˜… I have a small group of 5 chicks I ferry in and out nightly, but theyā€™re super easy and I just canā€™t imagine trying to collect these little flyers lol
Yep I'd put em out!

Wooo! I miss their little sounds, but this dust is just nonsense
Definitely!
In the summertime, my birds go outside by 3 weeks. The key at that point is them being able to huddle together, and have a space to get out of any wind or rain.

Itā€™s over 90Ā° and thereā€™s not as much circulation in the brooder compared to the coop, no dirt to cool in either. Hoping this helps a bit šŸ¤žšŸ¼

BDC25EA3-754C-40F1-A595-1E8CDAC59A2F.jpeg

Itā€™s over 90Ā° and thereā€™s not as much circulation in the brooder compared to the coop, no dirt to cool in either. Hoping this helps a bit šŸ¤žšŸ¼

View attachment 3167324
How are they doin?doing?!

I've got a big 30" fan in the run for mine and bringing em lots of cold treats throughout the day...but you'd never know these girls hadn't already had frozen watermelon, frozen peas, ice cubes with electrolytes and shrimp tails!

How are they doin?doing?!

I've got a big 30" fan in the run for mine and bringing em lots of cold treats throughout the day...but you'd never know these girls hadn't already had frozen watermelon, frozen peas, ice cubes with electrolytes and shrimp tails!
So far theyā€™re handling it well! Itā€™s supposed to get even hotter though, but not quite 100Ā°. This morning was quite the adventure though!!!

I went out to feed them and my ā€œbrightā€ idea of doing the whole top of the brooder as the lid is awful lol. One decided to slip out and was racing around the coop. No biggie, itā€™s fast and everyone was looking at it like they had no idea it was a chicken šŸ˜‚ Iā€™m trying to corner it and it keeps going under the brooder, finally I get it in a corner and Iā€™m ready to scoop her up! But nooooooo, our wood slat fell down and I never replaced it because theyā€™re grown chickensā€¦. She slips between the back wooden fence (not our fence) and the field fencing we put up. So I holler for some kid backup and hope she doesnā€™t find a way around either fence because itā€™s a massive pile of wood back there and we will never catch her. We have to cut open the gate, fight our way through chest high thistle, and all we can hear is frantic peeping. Iā€™ve already lost the pvc pole I was trying to heard her with. She decides to get out from between the fences and weā€™re trying to keep her from heading into the wood pile. Ever so carefully like herding dogs, pushing her slowly towards the open field where we might have some chance of at least seeing her. Luckily she slips back into the yard! All the grow outs are now out of the coop and under the Russian Olive (they have HUGE thorns), sheā€™s ducking under them and zig zagging everywhere. Weā€™re trying to keep her away from the fence again. FINALLY, she makes a break out from under the tree and I trap her against the coop. Scoop her up and home she goes, Iā€™m about to pass out from heat stroke šŸ˜

Back
Top Bottom