D'uccle Thread

This is romeo. I just wanted to share him. Unfortunately he was killed protecting his ladies from a 30+ lb racoon 2 nights ago. He was very personable for a rooster. I loved him very much....never had a roo like him. I cant say enough about D'uccles very sweet dispositions not to mention beautiful!

awww he was a cutie. I'm so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

They really are an amazing breed. Very enjoyable to keep.

This is romeo. I just wanted to share him. Unfortunately he was killed protecting his ladies from a 30+ lb racoon 2 nights ago. He was very personable for a rooster. I loved him very much....never had a roo like him. I cant say enough about D'uccles very sweet dispositions not to mention beautiful!
Sorry for your loss, it sounds like he was a great rooster!

It's been awhile since I have made a post here! Anyways, my Mille is by far the best hen I've ever had! I just lost my second best along with 3 others to a pit bull. Hopped my fence and went to town in 5 minutes . Talk about a devictating day!! I don't know how he got my two top hens?! They were smart. Now I'm babbling. Sorry!!
So, I went to my bantams coop to get my baby yesterday. There were feathers everywhere !!!!! I figured she had started a molt. Well I went back two more times. More feathers everywhere blowing in yard in coop.... So now I'm really worried. I picked her up very gentle. Knowing she's been staying on her roost and I may hurt her little body. So, I started feeding her protein, starter food. Basically anything I think will help her.
Then today same thing. Now it is flight feathers feet feathers eac..... She has no mites, worms or parasites that I can find.
I guess my question is. Is it common for this breed to molt hard and fast? I have other hens molting but nothing like this. I could make a pillow.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! As I love all my girls. She's just a bit special ! I want her to be ok.
She did try to go broody a week ago and I broke her.
Sorry for the long post!
Thank you in advance!
I lost most of my pictures but here she is.
1f607.png

Last edited:
Im sorry for your loss.....I dont know enough about feather loss to even guess whats going on. im sure it was stressful for her losing her flock mates. She is gorgeous!

Thank you ! She's my baby! She no longer has tail feathers and is hiding on roost. They all came out within 10 minutes. She hasn't wanted to free range for two days now. Poor girl!

It's been awhile since I have made a post here! Anyways, my Mille is by far the best hen I've ever had! I just lost my second best along with 3 others to a pit bull. Hopped my fence and went to town in 5 minutes . Talk about a devictating day!! I don't know how he got my two top hens?! They were smart. Now I'm babbling. Sorry!!
So, I went to my bantams coop to get my baby yesterday. There were feathers everywhere !!!!! I figured she had started a molt. Well I went back two more times. More feathers everywhere blowing in yard in coop.... So now I'm really worried. I picked her up very gentle. Knowing she's been staying on her roost and I may hurt her little body. So, I started feeding her protein, starter food. Basically anything I think will help her.
Then today same thing. Now it is flight feathers feet feathers eac..... She has no mites, worms or parasites that I can find.
I guess my question is. Is it common for this breed to molt hard and fast? I have other hens molting but nothing like this. I could make a pillow.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! As I love all my girls. She's just a bit special ! I want her to be ok.
She did try to go broody a week ago and I broke her.
Sorry for the long post!
Thank you in advance! I lost most of my pictures but here she is.
1f607.png

Oh yes, they sure can molt fast! Every morning when I feed my girls the ground under the roost is covered in feathers (it looks like a predator got in there they're are so many feathers. I'm sure your girl is fine, just in a hard molt. If she is under a little stress (with the flock being attacked) than that might cause her to molt fast. Sorry to hear about your losses!

Oh yes, they sure can molt fast! Every morning when I feed my girls the ground under the roost is covered in feathers (it looks like a predator got in there they're are so many feathers. I'm sure your girl is fine, just in a hard molt. If she is under a little stress (with the flock being attacked) than that might cause her to molt fast. Sorry to hear about your losses!thank you! It was a bummer !! I keep looking for my other favorite in my flock
1f601.png
dang dog! I normally keep my dog out when the girls are out. She went from hunting birds with my husband to protecting my hens. Best dog ever!!!! Then I think If she would have been outside it would have been bad for her. As she's 8 now and no match for a 2 yr old pit bull. Guess things happen for a reason. ? Not sure why?
I'm glad to hear this is normal. Like you said looks like a attack in my yard. However, other then her tail she still looks better then my other ladies molt. Will she hide out for awhile?
[/quotes was hoping you may answer. You have helped me before. Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom