Duck attacked by a raccoon

26E80242-AEB1-45AE-9EC6-2DEA4DBFD48B.jpeg
Here’s a photo of him this morning. He’s very tired. His wounds seem to be healing fast though. I ordered tube feeding supplies on Amazon but it won’t be arriving for another 2 days.

Are you giving a wetted feed to make a mash?
It might be infection in his eye. Anyway to get a close up of that?
Yes I have but he doesn’t want to eat it. Once I get home I will send photos asap. I have some soft rubber tubes that is used for oxygen in a fish pond. Do you think that would work as an alternative? I can show you a picture later.

Yes I have but he doesn’t want to eat it. Once I get home I will send photos asap. I have some soft rubber tubes that is used for oxygen in a fish pond. Do you think that would work as an alternative? I can show you a picture later.
I'm not sure. I've never tube fed. I would go by whatever @Quatie posted above.

I’m not sure if this is a good idea, but I stacked a few books up in order to keep his neck straight up. He seems to find it comfortable.

Aquarium tubing can be used if it is small enough and pliable. You will want to melt the ends so the cut ends with not cut the throat when going down. You will also need to hydrate him first. So use warm water with electrolytes about an hour later you can tube feed him.

Walmart may carry catheters near you.

I would order some catheters, because they are easier to use. The end is designed to go on a syringe.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-supplies-and-where-to-get-them.915751/

Aquarium tubing can be used if it is small enough and pliable. You will want to melt the ends so the cut ends with not cut the throat when going down. You will also need to hydrate him first. So use warm water with electrolytes about an hour later you can tube feed him.

Walmart may carry catheters near you.

I would order some catheters, because they are easier to use. The end is designed to go on a syringe.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-supplies-and-where-to-get-them.915751/
Got it. Thanks for the help. I’ve bought the supplies. Do you think I should tube feed it today or wait till tomorrow morning? It’s late now and I’m not sure if I should wake him up.

Got it. Thanks for the help. I’ve bought the supplies. Do you think I should tube feed it today or wait till tomorrow morning? It’s late now and I’m not sure if I should wake him up.
Hydration would be my only main concern. He can likely go another night without food. I don't know how much he has been drinking during this time. If it has been very little, I would want to at least get some fluids in him. Otherwise it can probably wait till tomorrow.

Hydration would be my only main concern. He can likely go another night without food. I don't know how much he has been drinking during this time. If it has been very little, I would want to at least get some fluids in him. Otherwise it can probably wait till tomorrow.
I will try to get as much fluids in him as possible. When I put his bill into his water cup, I moves his bill around a bit. I hope this is him drinking.

I will try to get as much fluids in him as possible. When I put his bill into his water cup, I moves his bill around a bit. I hope this is him drinking.
Not sure if I explained it well. Before you tube feed you will need to tube fluids down first. From what it sounds like, I would personally tube fluids.

Things you can look for as signs of dehydration is sunken eyes, dry and wrinkly skin, dry mouth. You can also pinch some of it's skin where there is no feathers; and if takes longer than a second to go back smoothly, then he is dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom