Kerya

Songster
Nov 1, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong spot!
My female mallard (Molly) is acting more aggressive towards the other ducks as the days go by.

She would listen to one of the other ducks who stood up to her and never picked on her after the order was established (Marnie). She’d still pick on the smallest duck (Twig), who didn’t stand up to her but nothing too crazy.
Molly has started to bite them and chase them for no reason now, and even pulled feathers from Marnie today.
I’m worried that she’ll damage them if this continues.

She doesn’t have a nest and doesn’t lay eggs. The other ducks have no visible injuries, or changes that I can see.
One of them DID lose a bit of weight though, which I’m working quickly to fix, but I’m not sure that would do it?

She was raised with us one year before we got other ducks, but it’s been several months with them without anything happening.
Molly recently had a vet checkup and was healthy, so I’m not sure if she’s acting out and why she would be?
(She’s still nice to me if that helps)
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Since she got along fine with them before this behavior started, I wonder if she's just feeling a bit rambunctious because it's spring and she would like to mate.
You only have female ducks?

Since she got along fine with them before this behavior started, I wonder if she's just feeling a bit rambunctious because it's spring and she would like to mate.
You only have female ducks?

I do only have females at the moment, but I’m working on getting more ducks soon.
Molly doesn’t like her butt or back being touched so I wouldn’t have thought that she’d accept a mate, but since I’ve never had a male I could try that when I’m able to snag one?

I do only have females at the moment, but I’m working on getting more ducks soon.
Molly doesn’t like her butt or back being touched so I wouldn’t have thought that she’d accept a mate, but since I’ve never had a male I could try that when I’m able to snag one?
You could but I wouldn't be quick about throwing a male into the mix just yet, especially since you only have three girls. Most drakes need four to six females so that they don't injure the girls with over mating.
Have you noticed the behavior associated with anything? Like maybe her guarding the food, sleeping area, or water? How big is their enclosure?
I would probably separate her for several days and then reintroduce her. That can help bring her down a peg or two of the pecking order.

You could but I wouldn't be quick about throwing a male into the mix just yet, especially since you only have three girls. Most drakes need four to six females so that they don't injure the girls with over mating.
Have you noticed the behavior associated with anything? Like maybe her guarding the food, sleeping area, or water? How big is their enclosure?
I would probably separate her for several days and then reintroduce her. That can help bring her down a peg or two of the pecking order.
That’s a good point, I suppose I’ll wait until I get other females in.
At first she was nipping them when they got too close, then would later nip them because she didn’t want them to do what she was doing (drinking/eating at the same time).
Now she’ll seek them out when they’re in the same area, seemingly just for existing near her.
If they’re swimming, she’ll hop in and bug them until they get out, it’s sort of just evolved from being new and spooked by baby ducks?

And as for their space, they’re currently stuck in the house as our outdoor (closed in) tents got destroyed. They have about 3 9x9ft (at least) rooms and a hallway (as protected as I could make it for their feet).
She could be upset about not being able to go outside since December (before it got too cold and tents destroyed)?

That’s a good point, I suppose I’ll wait until I get other females in.
At first she was nipping them when they got too close, then would later nip them because she didn’t want them to do what she was doing (drinking/eating at the same time).
Now she’ll seek them out when they’re in the same area, seemingly just for existing near her.
If they’re swimming, she’ll hop in and bug them until they get out, it’s sort of just evolved from being new and spooked by baby ducks?

And as for their space, they’re currently stuck in the house as our outdoor (closed in) tents got destroyed. They have about 3 9x9ft (at least) rooms and a hallway (as protected as I could make it for their feet).
She could be upset about not being able to go outside since December (before it got too cold and tents destroyed)?
Wow, ducks in the house! You're a lot more brave than me. :gig
She could be cranky about not being able to go outside I suppose.
One thing you could also do is make sure the other ducks have things to hide behind. Sometimes the other ducks just being out of her view can halt some of the attacks. Though, now that I'm thinking about it, I feel like that might not work as well since you only have three and ducks like to hang out together.

Female ducks seem to have more of catty behavior than my drakes, I have a Muscovy that has to be separated from her 2 coop mates with lattice at night because she picks on one of the other females. And what's funny is the Muscovy female that gets picked on at night will chase my goose she doesn't attack her but chases her. [Girls]
The suggestion about separating her for a couple days is a good idea. I've had to do this with a few of my Muscovy females when they are acting nasty to their room mates. I have a small coop that works perfect for over night stays when they really get out of hand. usually a night alone takes care of it.

Wow, ducks in the house! You're a lot more brave than me. :gig
She could be cranky about not being able to go outside I suppose.
One thing you could also do is make sure the other ducks have things to hide behind. Sometimes the other ducks just being out of her view can halt some of the attacks. Though, now that I'm thinking about it, I feel like that might not work as well since you only have three and ducks like to hang out together.
Haha, yeah, it’s a bit crazy and they’ve become goblins lol!
The babies love Molly, even if she’s mean to them, they just want to hang out 🥺
I’m trying to be as fast as I can so they can get their “coop” done, as well as their outdoor place, so I can get them more friends.
I could try and make some more spots to hide in the meantime, maybe more interactive toys to distract her?
I think Molly doesn’t understand having other ducks is a good thing haha

Back
Top Bottom