Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics

These three turned out to be all drakes. They are such characters. I love watching them go about their day. When I go out in the morning to feed everyone the feathers on their head stick straight up and they hiss at me as if to say "it is about time you showed up with the food." They are also the first Muscovy I have raised. So, when I spotted one on the roof of My House I was a bit surprised, I didn't realize such large and heavy birds could get up that high, but they do.

Florida Fish and Game isn't too fond of Muscovy. There are feral/wild flocks popping up all over the place. So, when a couple wild Muscovy wandered into my parents back yard(large neighborhood in Orlando) I caught and relocated them. They now reside around a semi-wild pond on my F-I-L's property. It is still in the heart of Orlando, except it is a fully fenced overgrown wildish space.

Are there any special arrangements that I need to do for the muscovies?  I'm thinking of getting a few but want to keep them together with the chickens.
My chickens and ducks go back an forth with who's dominant and who's chasing who, I have quite a lot of room for everyone, both inside and out, the ducks of course make a mess with the water, so it can work if your area is large enough and you aren't keeping too many ducks.

These three turned out to be all drakes. They are such characters. I love watching them go about their day. When I go out in the morning to feed everyone the feathers on their head stick straight up and they hiss at me as if to say "it is about time you showed up with the food." They are also the first Muscovy I have raised. So, when I spotted one on the roof of My House I was a bit surprised, I didn't realize such large and heavy birds could get up that high, but they do.

Florida Fish and Game isn't too fond of Muscovy. There are feral/wild flocks popping up all over the place. So, when a couple wild Muscovy wandered into my parents back yard(large neighborhood in Orlando) I caught and relocated them. They now reside around a semi-wild pond on my F-I-L's property. It is still in the heart of Orlando, except it is a fully fenced overgrown wildish space.
So sweet of you to care enough to relocate them. If only folks would keep them home once they get them there wouldn't be so many feral now. There is a large feral flock here in our county and it is those who flew off from their one time homes. I make sure mine cannot leave I don't want to contribute to the wild population, plus I would be heart broken if I lost any of mine.That blk and white one looks so much like one of my drakes. They have wonderful personalities I love them.

these are my pets:

I swear I was just going to lurk... I have enough breeds to stay on the threads with the ducks I have... But this is one of the best duck-smile pics I have ever seen. And even though her crest is down, It is a different enough color that it stands out as a hairdo. Absolutely ADORABLE!!!
love.gif

I swear I was just going to lurk... I have enough breeds to stay on the threads with the ducks I have... But this is one of the best duck-smile pics I have ever seen. And even though her crest is down, It is a different enough color that it stands out as a hairdo. Absolutely ADORABLE!!!
love.gif
That pic is one of my favorites on here. Don't you love that face.

That pic is one of my favorites on here. Don't you love that face.
Yeah, I just called Yvonne in to look at it. I thought Entie had a great duck-smile, but that one blows her away... <sigh> (Don't worry, Entie still has the best smile in my flock
wink.png
).

Question... Does anyone here know anything about the dusky color?

-Kathy

What is dusky? Is that like silver?
r

I think that duskies are the ones that hatch that solid color. I'll see if I can find some pictures. Once grow, it's impossible fo me to tell them apart.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom