Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Pics
Can anyone tell me if the females can raise a Mohawk like the males?... I've searched and asked others and haven't been able to get any answer... Thanks in advance
1f60a.png
That's a male trait. I've never seen a hen do it, they don't have the extra long feathers on the back of the head, they are smooth.

oh okay, just one has bit me before while hissing so I have kind of just assumed that that is the aggressive behavior. @jchny2000
WOW thats not good. If one does that again, its best to do aggression training with them. Any type of poultry or waterfowl, immediately pick them up when it happens, hold them tightly (not so tight it harms them). I do a fast grab by the neck with one hand, other arm around those wings and body, grabbing the legs. Ducks have big strong wings and it really hurts to get flogged! Carry them around a bit, so they are fully aware you are head duck in this instance. Pinning a bird, which means holding them down to the ground in cases the bird is to large to pick up is another option. Its the natural way the birds show dominance to another bird in the flock. I have the biggest issues with my young ganders and thats how I have always handled it. Also works in cases of large tom turkeys! I learned from my grandmother to watch how your animals act, and use the methods they do themselves to teach them whats acceptable, and whats not.
Can anyone tell me if the females can raise a Mohawk like the males?... I've searched and asked others and haven't been able to get any answer... Thanks in advance
1f60a.png
Yes they do, its not as high a mohawk but they do have the ability. I only see my girls do it if someone bothers her nest, or if I have added new Muscovy to my flock. If a duck has a mohawk she is probably pretty angry or feels the need to be defensive/territorial.

Thanks... I have 4 muscovies of different ages and they all have the Mohawk... The biggest one yet(and) oldest I had posted a pic of and was told definitely female and she has a good size Mohawk... I have had her a month or so and just picked up 3 more to keep her company... I bought them as female as the breeder won't part with his males... He had over 100 of them for us to choose from but I'm not so sure I Now have all females !?!..

Thanks... I have 4 muscovies of different ages and they all have the Mohawk... The biggest one yet(and) oldest I had posted a pic of and was told definitely female and she has a good size Mohawk... I have had her a month or so and just picked up 3 more to keep her company... I bought them as female as the breeder won't part with his males... He had over 100 of them for us to choose from but I'm not so sure I Now have all females !?!..

Could you post those pictures, if they are all at least 6 months old am sure we can help tell you what you have, ducks or drakes.

I've had a few females with long crests.
I agree that hissing is just the way the boys talk. Its not like goose or cat hissing. Head bobbing, sky beak clapping, and tail wagging are good also.
To me aggressive behavior would be when they lower their heads and stretch their necks out in front of them parallel to the ground. Raising their wings slightly away from their body like a cape while running toward you. Or leaping at you feet first.
Both hens and drakes do make a type of short warning huff, that makes the soft skin under their beak inflates a little.
From what I've noticed, even the sweetest most attached boys go through a major personality change when breeding hormones kick in. They are very nippy grabby at first. You can train them not to treat you like a female duck that belongs to them, but it takes time. They do change a lot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom