Duck egg air sac/humidity, am I doing this right??? (pictures attached)

If you haven’t left yet, might add a tube of betadine just in case of emergency and some triple antibiotic ointment, if you don’t have any. Usually not necessary, but while you’re stocking up, ya know. Lol

Sounds like they are coming along fine. Now keep the lid closed as much as possible and keep the humidity up!

Good luck. I hope to get to check back in later tonight. And see some babies! :) :fl

I'm on my way to the store now so will grab those ..

I hope we get babies soon but am prepared to wait and see:pop:pop

Finishing up brooder getting ready to turn that light on

I am concerned with the one air sac that didn't get much bigger.. I've got to figure out a way to check for a pip without opening.. I'm just worried about it running out of air but can't be opening all the damn time to check lol this should be fun!! :gig:gigall the others got bigger and dipped

We've got one external :celebrate:celebrate

She did it while I was gone so I didn't get to check other eggs but **think** I heard another peeping :ya

... ok back to more waiting :pop 20180720_155219.jpg

edit: was on mobile and didn't notice that you really cant see the pip .. I'll try to edit

Last edited:
I just went through almost five days of ducklings moving against the air sacs before they hatched. So they can play around near them and look like they have pipped days before they external pip.

What I did with my one that had a small air cell today that still had movement but no pip was I put a safety hole in. Enough to break the inner membrane after the duckling had air it hulked out of the shell on me.

Not sure that is what you should do but my air cells where much smaller than they should have been. And I lost one to it not getting air soon enough so I went with my gut.

Best wishes on your hatch!!

:ya for pips!
Keep in mind that ducklings will punch around on the shell, possibly a few times before they start their actual zip, so don’t be alarmed or too worried if it happens.

:fl good luck!

:ya for pips!
Keep in mind that ducklings will punch around on the shell, possibly a few times before they start their actual zip, so don’t be alarmed or too worried if it happens.

:fl good luck!

I literally turned on my computer just to ask that question. She's rocking a bit and I just asked my husband (like he would know lol) do you think they just roll around in there and she could pip somewhere else :lau ... I wish my bator was completely see through .. I can't see well around one side/bottom so let's hope she doesn't pick that area! Her pip was super close to the yellow spot. From what I can see it doesn't look like she actually made a hole - just hit hard enough to crack and pop tiny pieces of shell. Assuming that's normal.

I just went through almost five days of ducklings moving against the air sacs before they hatched. So they can play around near them and look like they have pipped days before they external pip.

What I did with my one that had a small air cell today that still had movement but no pip was I put a safety hole in. Enough to break the inner membrane after the duckling had air it hulked out of the shell on me.

Not sure that is what you should do but my air cells where much smaller than they should have been. And I lost one to it not getting air soon enough so I went with my gut.

Best wishes on your hatch!!

Thank you! I am considering a safety hole as one just didn't grow the way the others did so keeping an eye for now :pop:pop my eggs were shipped, no loose air sacs but one was wiggly . I don't want to lose one to air so I'm thinking at some point I'll have to open and grab real quick just incase

:D
The extra pips are usually close to the original one. They don’t move around a whole lot, but some, just getting into better position once they break thru the membrane, then work their way into the air cell space.

oh good ok .. i've been stressing trying to figure out a way to see down the side .. I keep looking in there like she's just going to jump out of that shell :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom