MummyDuckNovice

Hatching
Jul 12, 2020
Hi all,

This is the first time I have posted on here.
I need some advice about some duck eggs that I am currently trying to incubate (in a box with lots of radiators around it and damp towels).

A duck nested in a flower bed on the train platform where I work during lockdown (was so quiet she probably thought it was a safe place). Anyway, today the ducklings started hatching and almost immediately were running towards the railway tracks and being attacked by some nasty seagulls that had been lurking. So we were trying to herd her babies back to her and scare away the seagulls.
Mummy duck got extremely distressed by all this and flew away - abandoning her ducklings and two unhatched eggs.
We put the ducklings and the eggs into a box with towels and waited on the platform for over an hour hoping she would come back.
She did not. :’(

So we took the ducklings to a wildlife haven to keep them safe - but they said they wouldn’t take the unhatched eggs.
So I am completely inexperienced and have no idea what I am doing, and I am trying to incubate the eggs without an incubator!

But really my main question is - is it worth trying? Could they still hatch? Or did she abandon them knowing that they were not going to live? 6 other ducklings hatched within 6 hours of each other this morning before she left the nest - so should these babies have already hatched or should I persevere for a few days just in case?

I would feel terrible if I stopped keeping them warm and trying for them if they had a chance at life!

Have you had a look at them with a flashlight to see if there is movement?

Where in the world are you located? Do you know what type of duck mama duck was?

Have you had a look at them with a flashlight to see if there is movement?

Where in the world are you located? Do you know what type of duck mama duck was?

Hi AgnesGray! Thank you for replying.
I have shone a light into the eggs and I didn't see any movement, but there was a large air cell in both eggs and then the rest was just dark with not much to see!
Below is not my image - but this is what they looked like (ish).
1594653897966.png

I haven't noticed any movement or noises from the eggs at all since I have had them :(
But I am keeping hopeful because they do not smell or anything?

I am in the UK - Mumma duck was a mallard I think. But the other ducklings didn't look like mallards (just going by google images for mallard ducklings) with the brown stripe through their eye. They just had dark brown heads and backs and then yellow tummies and dark feet.

Awww, bet the ducklings are cuties!

I'd keep an eye on them. If they have a large air cell you should see shadows of the bill moving inside the air cell soon as they break into that for air first. Is the space that they're in a consistent 99.5F/37.5C or very near to it? Humidity can be achieved with damp sponges or cloths near them.

I suppose it's a waiting game at this point. But you're doing well to give them a shot!

Awww, bet the ducklings are cuties!

I'd keep an eye on them. If they have a large air cell you should see shadows of the bill moving inside the air cell soon as they break into that for air first. Is the space that they're in a consistent 99.5F/37.5C or very near to it? Humidity can be achieved with damp sponges or cloths near them.

I suppose it's a waiting game at this point. But you're doing well to give them a shot!

The ducklings are adorable <3

I am keeping the temperature as constant as I can given my lack of equipment. I haven't slept all night because I've been sat moving the radiators around the box to make sure they don't get too hot or too cold and making sure they are humid with damp towels.
I hope they make it!
I will keep you updated - but so far nothing still.
My thoughts were that I am going to give them until tomorrow evening because that will then be nearly three days later than the others hatched in the nest - what do you think about this? Should I give them longer?

Awww.... <3 That is very admirable of you to take that on!

Some use a 60 watt bulb and I wonder if that might be less labor intensive on your part, if you have access to one?

If they don't pip soon, I'd first off get some sleep :hugs, and take a peek inside again to check for movement. Candling will help with decision-making. If they are all dark with a large air cell, they should hatch soon, if they are going to.

Awww.... <3 That is very admirable of you to take that on!

Some use a 60 watt bulb and I wonder if that might be less labor intensive on your part, if you have access to one?

If they don't pip soon, I'd first off get some sleep :hugs, and take a peek inside again to check for movement. Candling will help with decision-making. If they are all dark with a large air cell, they should hatch soon, if they are going to.
I'll have a look for a bulb.
Thanks so much for your advice!
I will let you know if I become a mother duck :fl

Sadly I am not going to be a mumma duck. 😢
Still no movement or peeping and the eggs have started to go mottled and blotchy and so I assume they must be dead.
I am pleased I gave them a chance, but so sad they haven’t made it.
I just hope they were already gone because mum left them cold, and not that I have done something wrong. 😩

Back
Top Bottom