Duck eggs day 21 Air cell photos and Incubation pictures

I’m considering putting a few desiccant packets in the incubator to try to reduce the humidity further.. Even running dry it is 39-45% humidity (that’s the range throughout the day). Most of the cells are looking good but there are a some which are still too small and I hate the thought of losing them.. they do still have a few more days so maybe they’ll grow. I also read about gently washing off some of the bloom to help them lose moisture faster.

One of the eggs with the smallest air cell is a favorite of mine. I know I shouldn’t get attached yet..
747D6DE1-0040-430D-BDB8-9C170B23D63E.jpeg

I’m considering putting a few desiccant packets in the incubator to try to reduce the humidity further.. Even running dry it is 39-45% humidity (that’s the range throughout the day). Most of the cells are looking good but there are a some which are still too small and I hate the thought of losing them.. they do still have a few more days so maybe they’ll grow. I also read about gently washing off some of the bloom to help them lose moisture faster.

One of the eggs with the smallest air cell is a favorite of mine. I know I shouldn’t get attached yet..
View attachment 3785774
I wouldn’t wash them
Way ti risky for bacteria to enter and kill the baby
Once the bloom is gone the egg is no longer protected
I also wouldn’t go much lower then 35-40 for humidity
Can you take a picture of the egg being candled
This will help to know if there is a lot of liquid still
The few days before they hatch that air cell grows fast and dips way up on one side
I would hate to see you go yo low and compromise all the eggs
Any with extra liquid or smaller air cells may hatch a few days later
As they need more time ti be ready
They still have a few days time

These pictures aren’t great, but I think they show how much liquid is in there pretty well.

Ok, I’ll leave the humidity as it is and try not to stress too much.
07E0C322-FF01-492C-8F5D-9C5AEFD7B7D1.jpeg
3F37AD99-DF7A-4613-A4E1-DB6412E36171.jpeg

Some of my ducklings have internally pipped!!!! I’m so excited!
I’m raising the humidity and aiming for about 60-70%?

There are several eggs with external pips!!!!!

This egg has pipped internally but has a bunch of bruising in the air cell. Should I give it a safety hole? I’m thinking that because its in the air cell, maybe it’s ok for now?
B4E95349-3680-4E4A-88DC-B0C76AD6476C.jpeg

There are several eggs with external pips!!!!!

This egg has pipped internally but has a bunch of bruising in the air cell. Should I give it a safety hole? I’m thinking that because its in the air cell, maybe it’s ok for now?
View attachment 3788091
Usually that means they did hit a blood vessel on their way in
They eat it so it stops the bleeding
As long as it’s in the air cell I wouldn’t worry

Last night 3 had pipped, this morning a total of 7 have pipped including the one with bruises in the air cell. No further progress for any of them.

Humidity is 66%
Internal pip can be 24 hours
Once they external pip it’s 24-48 more hours
Ducks take a very long time to hatch
You may see a second hit close to the first hit around 8-12 hours after the first
Not Always
Be patient
These guys have big yolks to absorb
If they have external pip they have air

Back
Top Bottom