Duck eye infection?

It's a liquid, with an oral syringe. He clamps up and won't open his mouth. Is there a way to get him to open up, and say ahhh?
REad this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Then do this:
DSCN4899 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
It's a liquid, with an oral syringe. He clamps up and won't open his mouth. Is there a way to get him to open up, and say ahhh?
Ok I know I'm probably not as experienced as everyone else but I had a egg bound girl over the past year that i had to give oral meds to (calcium gluconate) all the time. Eventually, she and "we" got used to it and it was a snap!

Wrap the duck in a towel so it's wings don't flap. I held it in my left arm all snug to my body. Then I took my left hand/arm and used my index and thumb to open her mouth. (this is all nice and tight against my body). I pried her mouth open with those 2 fingers and shot the medication into her mouth (the correct hole which I'm sure you know). I swear, 2 seconds once you get into a routine! Easy peasy Japaneasy!

Thank you for asking! Marco seems to be doing better. His eye is less goopy, and he seems like he feels better. Today I put him in his tub and he cleaned himself up. I released him from quarantine, he’s definitely happier being back with his pals. Giving him his meds are another story. He’s not too happy with me. Fortunately, being visually impaired he’s easy to catch, but he is feisty! The vet says he may loose the eye, and that this may be a result of whatever caused his blindness in the first place. We’re hoping for a quick recovery!

Back
Top Bottom