Duck foot injury on 3/29/19

You know, silly me... Pine tar doesn’t come from Pine trees :lau I sure do need my night sleep.
@WannaBeHillBilly my thoughts though— would cracked skin explain the swelling (knot), limping, and raw heat that happened the night I discovered it? I do feel bad poking and prodding around her poor toe and wound, but it is very stiff and favored. Something tells me it’s not just cracked skin. :hit
As said: My ducks have been lucky so far with their feet, so i really cannot tell if there's an infection, but you have already done everything to treat an infection. I just saw the duck-foot on the pictures and thought "That looks like the cracks on my wife's foot…". And yes, i had a crack on a foot once - boy that hurts so bad! I'd prefer an infected cut!
No idea where pine-tar comes from, it is also called Stockholm-Tar.
I also read that pine resin has a medical use and i do believe that: I have two real pine trees at my house and their wood and resin smells like terpentine and is highly flammable. - maybe not a good idea to have those trees close by the house i just realized. :hmm

As said: My ducks have been lucky so far with their feet, so i really cannot tell if there's an infection, but you have already done everything to treat an infection. I just saw the duck-foot on the pictures and thought "That looks like the cracks on my wife's foot…". And yes, i had a crack on a foot once - boy that hurts so bad! I'd prefer an infected cut!
I also read that pine resin has a medical use and i do believe that: I have two real pine trees at my house and their wood and resin smells like terpentine and is highly flammable. - maybe not a good idea to have those trees close by the house i just realized. :hmm

Sorry about that, my computer had a little meltdown :caf

I'm glad I have never had to deal with cracked skin thus far... chapped lips are bad enough for me! I can tell you one thing, ducks take bumps and falls like champs. If I were them I'd be balled up crying most likely!

Right! I was excited because my backyard is full of 100ft Georgia pines. But good thing I got that understood. Pine tar =/= pine tree.

I'll definitely be looking into this product. Seems like something good to have around!

Just a FYI tidbit of information, when a pine tree starts to die the sap goes down into the roots. We use just a tiny piece to light the fire in our fireplace. The guys call it "lighter knot". Boy does it ever work good!

Heat is usually a sign of infection. It looks like you got a great start on the cut. You might need antibiotics for it if if gets worse.
"Different types of antibiotic have been used to cure the problem: one pill (22.7mg) per day of Baytril, 50-100 mg of clindamycin, doxycycline, lincomycen or doxycycline per day, or 250 mg of amoxicillin per day. Of course it is best to consult with a veterinarian first."
http://www.metzerfarms.com/Bumblefoot.cfm

Heat is usually a sign of infection. It looks like you got a great start on the cut. You might need antibiotics for it if if gets worse.
"Different types of antibiotic have been used to cure the problem: one pill (22.7mg) per day of Baytril, 50-100 mg of clindamycin, doxycycline, lincomycen or doxycycline per day, or 250 mg of amoxicillin per day. Of course it is best to consult with a veterinarian first."
http://www.metzerfarms.com/Bumblefoot.cfm

With the amount of heat she put off the day I found it, I knew it was onset infection! Though it is not purulent, at all. Which contradicts the idea of it actually being infected.

At this point I am also believing it was a skin fissure that got dirty...

As far as antibiotics, I am fortunate enough to be in contact with my former boss (Veterinarian), who is completely informed on the situation and ready to take action if this takes a turn for the worse (knock on wood for it not to!). We both agree that it’s best to avoid antibiotics until the animal’s immune system shows signs of weakness. Unfortunately sometimes antibiotics when used too soon can do more harm than good. But thank you for that info! I have saved the different types of antibiotics you mentioned.:love Are there any more antibiotics safe to use in ducks?

Green Goo is a natural alternative to treating wounds that aren't infected scrapes and cuts.

I’ve heard of that stuff as well!

Would there be benefits of using that compared to a routine of; 1) Chlorhexidine, 2) Veterycin, 3) Polysporin? Anything to make the dressing and bandaging simpler and less stressful would be amazing!

Also, from my pictures posted yesterday, what are your opinions on what could’ve happened? Dry skin with a fissure, or stepped on something sharp? The knot around her joint is still present, not purulent, and still only slightly swollen. I will add a new photo of the progress today!

Thank you all for all these recommendations! :ya

Back
Top Bottom