Duck Foot Issue - Assistance Please

The diagnosis is a possible septic infection in the joint perhaps secondary to a small puncture wound that is not an open wound. It's way more swollen today. She's been prescribed 0.5-1 ml Metcam 2x/day and 1 honking big tablet of Clavamox 3x/day. The Metacam is more straightforward with a syringe, but what do people suggest for the Clavamox tablet? Crushed up with a favorite treat? Thanks, BYC Friends!

I'm not going to say he enjoyed it, but he was a good boy ;-)
20180410_144854.jpg

ok well this probably ain't the same thing but once one of mine was living so I kept her pend up for a day and then she was better… anyways other than that sorry but I don't know what to do… maybe some other folks will be here to help soon…

Hard to tell from the pic, but is it a bit swollen up it looks like? Might be an infection. Is it hot to the touch? She might need some antibiotics, and I agree with Duck Lover you should probably put her in a dog crate with clean shavings. Sometimes one of my ducks will just maybe get their foot caught in something or get a sprain somehow. I just put them in the dog crate for a while (make sure there's no infection/hotness) and they mend up pretty fast. Try that, but if it's worse you might want to take to a vet. If you can't afford that and you're pretty sure it's an infection (although it doesn't look bad), you can get fish antibiotics at a pet store. It's the only way I've found to buy antibiotics for animals without a script. Be sure to Google "duck antibiotics dosage" to get the right amount for ducks. Good luck!

Have a look further up her leg. We had a drake which I noticed was limping slightly. He seemed ok apart from the limp. I picked him up, looked at his feet but there didn't seem to be anything wrong. Then I turned him upside down and saw the injury - I think he had been attacked by one of the peacocks (they're permanently separated now). Birds jump up with their claws outstretched when they attack (chickens too), and I guess this resulted in a tear in his skin on his body, just above where his leg joins. Had to go to the vet to get him stitched up, but he's ok now.

Could one of your drakes be exceptionally loving to her? meaning is she getting too much attention for them. Drakes can injure the females and cause a leg injury like a sprain. It doesn't particularly look like bumble is starting. Rest inside the run with the others where the drakes can't mess with her would be fine. That way she won't be stressed.

Could one of your drakes be exceptionally loving to her? meaning is she getting too much attention for them. Drakes can injure the females and cause a leg injury like a sprain. It doesn't particularly look like bumble is starting. Rest inside the run with the others where the drakes can't mess with her would be fine. That way she won't be stressed.
Thanks, Miss Lydia! It's always so comforting to get your advice. :)

Are you saying to still put her in a dog crate inside the run?

Back
Top Bottom