Duck Foot Issue - Assistance Please

Try it that way or if she'll take bread I use it small amount smooched around a pill broken into how ever many pieces it takes to get it down. Mine never know they are getting a pill using the bread method. But she may take it the other way too if you can feed her ducky soup with out the others getting into it.

So sorry hope she heals quickly now that she is on the meds.

Try it that way or if she'll take bread I use it small amount smooched around a pill broken into how ever many pieces it takes to get it down. Mine never know they are getting a pill using the bread method. But she may take it the other way too if you can feed her ducky soup with out the others getting into it.

So sorry hope she heals quickly now that she is on the meds.
Thank you! She was amazing going to the vet. Calm, cool and collected and very curious about the ride in the truck!
20180402_212740.jpg

What a sweet pic. All goes into the relationship you all have with your birds. they know you will protect them so they are comfortable with you. She sure is precious. :love
Thank you so much once again for your support, Miss Lydia. It means the world. Goose is indeed precious.

In terms of specifics, I'm mashing the chewable Clavamox 250 mg tablet in a mash of veggies and mealworms, which Lucy Goose readily eats. We're supposed to feed her a 250mg tablet 3x/day at eight hour intervals, which will be hard because that means she should get it before regular breakfast and after regular dinner. Do you think it's okay to give her the three tablets/day but not spaced quite 8 hours apart?

The Metacam is going straight down the gullet with a syringe. She of course hates it, but she's a good duck.

We're clear on the fact that we should not eat any of their eggs (because we don't really know whose is whose) during the time Lucy is on the Clavamox. We are also really clear that we will need to wait a period of weeks after she stops taking it before we even consider eating her eggs. What I'm less clear on is whether or not it is "safe" to 1) begin eating her eggs again at some point in the future, and 2) making our eggs available to others. Any thoughts?

Finally, what can we do with all the eggs that we will not be able to eat? Can we feed them back to the ducks scrambled? Our ducks eat our eggshells, but we've never offered them eggs. We don't have a dog. Ideas?

Thanks again!

It seems like it is higher up, like her hip even. Check for symmetrical feeling hips and move down from there.
Thanks. It seems to be a foot joint issue. She's on an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic. Today she was moving around a lot more. We're watching it closely and taking it one day at a time.

Yes give the meds on a time schedule that is best for you your doing great. Glad to hear she is doing better too.

I think it's 14 days after last dose before you can eat eggs again and you can try feeding them back to the ducks my chickens love cooked eggs but my ducks stick their noses up at them. But try. I hate to waste eggs too.

If you have a question specifically for me please tag me @Miss Lydia then I will get it thanks.

Yes give the meds on a time schedule that is best for you your doing great. Glad to hear she is doing better too.

I think it's 14 days after last dose before you can eat eggs again and you can try feeding them back to the ducks my chickens love cooked eggs but my ducks stick their noses up at them. But try. I hate to waste eggs too.

If you have a question specifically for me please tag me @Miss Lydia then I will get it thanks.
Thanks @Miss Lydia :)

FARED recommends observing an egg discard period of 6-8 weeks for layers prescribed Clavamox. They are quick to add that different variables of a case of extra-label drug use may influence their recommendations in different ways, as duration, dose, etc. may vary. We may ask our vet to submit the form through the FARED website.

When it comes to feeding the eggs back to them, we're certainly open to that idea, but would this not expose the whole flock to the antibiotic?

Back
Top Bottom