Pics

NorthernChick1

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Please i need your imput! we got to the coop and a fox was running after my chicken. after my dog chased it away i saw that it had got my duck but didnt manage to kill her as she hid beneath my coop. The fox made flesh wounds around her neck but didnt pearce but it did pearce through its chest. i see what looks to be a purple organ. it doesnt look ruptured but she lost a lot of blood... i couldnt a good picture as she barely had any energy and i didnt want to stress her more tha. she needs. ive put her downstair in a dog cage with food and water in a dark quiet room. she can get up but is now laying down and holding her hear by her bill.... i put medical powder to try and stop the bleeding. am i being cruel? should i just cull her? please help!!!
The wound is as big as a nickle.
Screenshot_20190520-211758_Messages.jpg

Update since no one has commented yet... 1hr30 has passed and shes still alive. shes taking deep breaths but doesnt look as if her breathing is restricted.... still laying down and still her head is down and held up by her bill..... in pretty rough shape where the whole is. gonna check soon if the bleeding has stopped.. as she lost lots of blood.

Dont wanna disturb her if shes resting. i was thinking of crushing advil into her water but she hasnt drank and is not willing to eat treats either.... will try and rest and ill check and hopefully she will pull through the night... i havnt cleaned it or anything shes lost alot of blood and i dont wanna play around while shes still in shock. if by tomorrow am shes still alive i will clean off the wound, cut the feathers around it clean the area and i might try and use a butterfly tape since the whole looks to be open.

A pain reliever could thin the blood, making bleeding more likely. I might wash with water that has a little iodine added, then rinse with saline or Epsom salt water and generously apply triple-action ointment after gently patting her dry.
its late and shes verry weak as she lost lots of blood and she was stressed. should i leave her rest and do this tomorrow morning?

I should say, I don't know ducks, but this is what I would do in general for a bird with an open wound. Also try to keep it warm.

I'm sorry this happened, but you seem to be working through this well. Do what you think best. If she isn't up to it, it may be better to let her rest for now.

It sounds to me as if she needs to see a vet. If you can't afford a vet, you could at least ask a vet for advice. If there is one nearby that is open 24 hours or has someone on-call for after hours emergencies, that is your best bet for helping your feathered friend.

My only other suggestion would be surgical tissue adhesive. It's like superglue for skin. You would have to clean the wound really well before you used it because the chance of infection with this kind of wound is really high, but it might give her a chance of making it. My cousin used it when one of her horses got a nasty gash on his leg. She cleaned the wound with a water/iodine solution (as has already been suggested above), then applied some antibiotic wound spray before closing the wound using tissue adhesive glue. The horse's leg healed up perfect and there was hardly any scarring.

I am no vet, however. I'm only going on my own experiences in animal first aid. I am aware that vets often leave wounds such as that your duck has open and only bandage them, rather than stitching them up due to the infection risk. So I will reiterate my original suggestion to contact a vet.

i will contact my vet tomorrow as they are closed. if she makes the night i will get her cleaned up and get better photos and take it as it goes. it really will need to be addressed tomorrow if she makes it through the night .. i have a saline solution i can use but will need to buy either the glue or dressing we will see tomorrow. i will give an update tomorrow! fingers crossed that she pulls through.

Oh yes, if you can reach a vet, that would be great! I don't have that option, so I forget to mention it, but a vet would know better than we would.

Back
Top Bottom